cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning-tree question on a pair of 6509 and HP BL p-class GbE2 Interconnect Switch

ssamaharn
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2 core 6509 switches core1 and core2 that connected to each other over a port-channel1 made up of 6 ports (5/1-5/6). All Vlans are allowed on this etherchannel.

We also have a HP Interconnect switch connected to core1 and core2 on port 8/1 core1 and port 8/1 core2.  For some reason all the network traffic is going from core1 to HP switch first and then go over to core2 via port 8/1.  That how our traffic is going across the cores right now.  We would like to have our network traffic going across the cores through the etherchannel.

6509 core1

vtp domain FP_VTP

vtp mode transparent

interface port-channel1

switchport

switchport trunk encap dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 999

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,100-107,999

switchport mode trunk

no ip address

When we do show spanning-tree root, Vlan0001 is going to root port gi8/1 which connected to HP switch.

What would be the best way to configure the 6509s to use etherchannel instead of gi8/1 between core1 and core2?

-Smith-

17 Replies 17

Should I do these command on my core1 and core2 ?

core1

spanning-tree vlan 1-111,999 root primary

core2

spanning-tree vlan 1-111,999 root secondray

ssamaharn wrote:

Should I do these command on my core1 and core2 ?

core1

spanning-tree vlan 1-111,999 root primary

core2

spanning-tree vlan 1-111,999 root secondray

Yes, if these are all the vlans you have between the 6500 switches and the HP switches. But as already mentioned there will be a short outage while STP reconvergences so you need to schedule some downtime.

Jon

fix your typo first....

"secondary"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card