Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack Compatibilty

Abhi Krsn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

Can somebody help me here to resolve the issue - half stack/speed. Is there compatibility issue or how can i resolve it.

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image                

------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------              

1 54    WS-C3750E-48PD     12.2(50)SE2           C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M    

2 54    WS-C3750E-48PD     12.2(50)SE2           C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M    

*    3 54    WS-C3750E-48PD     12.2(50)SE2           C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M

4 12   WS-C3750G-12S        12.2(50)SE2           C3750-IPBASEK9-M     

Stack Ring Speed        : 16G

Stack Ring Configuration: Half

Stack Ring Protocol     : StackWise

Stack Port Status          Neighbors
Switch# Port 1 Port 2    Port 1 Port 2
--------------------------------------------------------
1            Ok     Down      2        None
2            Ok     Ok           3       1
3            Ok     Ok          4        2
4           Down Ok         None   3

Regards

5 Replies 5

Abhi Krsn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

can anybody look into it plz

Have you connected the cables correctly as that can cause half speed ?

All ios are same so should not be a compatibility issues once major minor numbers match , did you run same license each switch too although that shouldn't effect stack speed  

Make sure there all tight

When you connect a switch to a stack, make sure you properly connect both StackWise cables. It is possible for a switch to join a stack when only one StackWise cable is connected to another active stack member, in which case the stack operates at less than maximum ring bandwidth.

An open ring operates at half the available bandwidth. After you connect both StackWise cables of the new switch and it has joined the ring, full ring bandwidth is restored.

Image result for cisco stackwise connections

As Mark has already noted, the likely problem is you don' have the ring properly connected.  Your units 1 and 4 don't show a second ring port connection.

Thanks Mark, 

can you see here C3750G is having IPBASE only and i think it doesnt take Universal image whether it should work? Any recommendation. Although i have a spare WS-C3750X-12S, can i use it in place of C3750G with other WS-C3750E-48PD in stack ? Regards..

3 54    WS-C3750E-48PD     12.2(50)SE2           C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M

4 12   WS-C3750G-12S        12.2(50)SE2           C3750-IPBASEK9-M     

as the master is no3 it should work off that in terms of license from what I remember  , the compatibility more comes from the major minor numbers in the ios version 12.2(50) , a license issue should not reduce stack speed to half as its a physical thing , is your ring complete like the screenshot , see the way switch 1 is looped back to 4 to form a full ring topology

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card