cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack errors in 2960X

Anuj Singhi
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2960X in production which is a standalone switch without any stack but its showing me logs related to the same and getting rebooted because of it.

Aug  3 17:43:56.718: %STACKMGR-4-SWITCH_ADDED: Switch 1 has been ADDED to the stack
Aug  3 17:43:58.165: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan1, changed state to down
Aug  3 17:43:58.165: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0, changed state to down
Aug  3 17:43:59.871: %SPANTREE-5-EXTENDED_SYSID: Extended SysId enabled for type vlan
Aug  3 17:44:03.349 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, changed state to down
Aug  3 17:44:03.771 UTC: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console
Aug  3 17:44:03.866 UTC: %STACKMGR-5-SWITCH_READY: Switch 1 is READY
Aug  3 17:44:03.866 UTC: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 1 has changed to state DOWN
Aug  3 17:44:03.866 UTC: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 1 has changed to state DOWN
Aug  3 17:44:04.851 UTC: %STACKMGR-5-MASTER_READY: Master Switch 1 is READY
Aug  3 17:44:05.100 UTC: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --
Cisco IOS Software, C2960X Software (C2960X-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.0(2)EX5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

The switch is running c2960x-universalk9-mz.150-2.EX5 and is an access layer switch. Can anybody suggest what could be the possible reason for the above error logs.

switch#sh switch stack-ports
  Switch #    Port 1       Port 2
  --------    ------       ------
    1          Down         Down

switch#sh switch
Switch/Stack Mac Address : aa:aa:aa:aa:aa
                                           H/W   Current
Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State
----------------------------------------------------------
*1       Master aa:aa:aa:aa:aa     1      4       Ready

6 Replies 6

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Could be a bug need to check the ios release but first i would disable the stack port so it can think its stacked , hopefully that prevents it rebooting

switch 1 stack port 1 disable

switch 1 stack port 2 disable

Nothing obvious in open caveats for that version of what your seeing considering its not stacked , if someone else has not come across it you could TAC it or move away from EX versions and go to 15.2 ED versions which should be more stable

www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/catalyst-2960-x-series-switches/products-release-notes-list.html

I cant get the commands that you have mentioned in switch:

switch(config)#switch ?
  <1-8>  Switch Number
  stack  Configure switch stack options

switch(config)#switch 1 ?
  priority   Set the priority of the specified switch
  provision  Configure Switch provision / offline config
  renumber   Renumber the specified switch number

Yes sorry just checked my 2960 stacks its not available, its there on my 3750 stacks alright

Do you have any other commands to disable the port or any solution to stop getting these error messages?

I would just upgrade it to a newer image theres a lot of bugs in these EX versions , theres something seriously wrong with the software if the switch thinks its in a stack and its causing it to reboot constantly, there's going to be further downtime if its left on that image ,that command was just to try and force stack ports down to prevent it but as you  confirmed its not available on 2960 series and thats the only 1 related to those port i could think of that would have stopped it

if you upload a new image by ftp to flash and set the boot statement next time it reboots it will pull that new image anyway and hopefully that will fix the issue

Only other option is TAC it and they will probably tell you to upgrade anyway but they should be able to provide the trigger for the bug at least

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card