Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack member identification/active master failback

Hi all,

I'm prepping a new Catalyst 9200 deployment with a couple of stacks.

I have two queries;

1. Is there a way to set a static identifier on all stack members, so I can be completely clear which switch is which? For example, if the stack name is SW01, can I set the members to have a name of SW01-A and SW01-B, so that I can physically label the switches for easy identification?
Or, is it the case the active switch name determines the stack name, and members have no name until they become the switch master, at which point they adopt the stack name? Then within the stack, they are just referred to as switch 1 and switch 2?

2. If I set one switch to have a higher stack priority to try and force election as active master, and the active switch is shutdown, does the active master fail back to the one with the higher priority when it comes back online or would it then have to be elected to active manually or have the current active switch restarted?

Hopefully I've explained those queries well enough.

Many thanks

James

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is there an easy way to visually identify which switch member is which?  Yes, there are two ways:  Remote or in-front-of-the-switch

Anyone standing in front of the switch will be able to access the Mode button.  Press (and not hold down) the Mode button four times bring the LED to the "stack" display (LED display looks like three parallel lines).  Look at the port numbers:  Switch 1 will have port 1 blinking, switch 2 will have port 2 blinking, etc.

Remote mode:  Use the enable (not configure mode) command:  hw-module beacon slot 1 on

This command turns on a blinding blue LED (can be turned off using the command "hw-module beacon slot 1 off" or the button next to the Mode button).  

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is there an easy way to visually identify which switch member is which?  Yes, there are two ways:  Remote or in-front-of-the-switch

Anyone standing in front of the switch will be able to access the Mode button.  Press (and not hold down) the Mode button four times bring the LED to the "stack" display (LED display looks like three parallel lines).  Look at the port numbers:  Switch 1 will have port 1 blinking, switch 2 will have port 2 blinking, etc.

Remote mode:  Use the enable (not configure mode) command:  hw-module beacon slot 1 on

This command turns on a blinding blue LED (can be turned off using the command "hw-module beacon slot 1 off" or the button next to the Mode button).  

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this.

Seems like an elegant enough solution to identify the switches and avoids having to stick physical labels on!

Cheers

James

I did a very brief test for point 2 and the fail back of the active master, but this does not seem to happen so I assume it must be done manually?

James

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card