cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack of 3850s - Maximum Recommended

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

I've read that it is not recommended to stack more than 6 x 3850s in a stack, even though the maximum that can be stacked is 9 switches. Are there performance issues with stacks, the more switches you add? I would have thought the opposite. Would there be issues with a 9 switch stack of 3850s?

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I've read that it is not recommended to stack more than 6 x 3850s

I am not sure about 3850 but I personally wouldn't recommend anyone stack SEVEN (7) or more 3750/G/E/X together in a stack.  

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, there's a potential performance issue with stacking.  Remember stacking is a daisy chain, so with more switches, there's the potential to push more transit traffic between stack members.  Larger stacks may also introduce additional latency.

If this isn't clear, visualize a similar situation with nine switches that don't have stack technology.  You might connect all nine in a serial daisy chain, or you might have one as a star/hub with it having connections to the remaining eight.  Which topology would be more efficient for moving traffic between switches?

The original StackWise technology sent everything to the stack ring, and the source switch removed it.  The later StackWise-Plus technology didn't flood the stack ring with all stack member traffic and unicast traffic was removed by the destination switch.  Both huge improvements as you add stack members.  StackWise-480 appears to be mainly StackWise-Plus with more bandwidth.  It offers other improvements too, but you still run into the transit traffic issues of any daisy chain topology.  That said, if you have enough inter stack traffic that this is a potential issue, you should be using either a chassis, with a switch fabric, or change your topology to non-stacked star.  However, with stackable switches, don't overlook their proprietary stack ports often offer more bandwidth than ordinary Ethernet ports, so a small stack might still perform better than a similar star/hub topology with same number of devices.  For even a large stack, is there enough traffic that there really would be a performance issue?

PS:

BTW, years ago, I worked in an environment where we had stacks of nine 3750Gs.  Configuration changes, at the CLI, were slow, but switches seemed to always forward traffic correctly.  This might have been because with StackWise and StackWise-Plus, one switch member, the "master", provides the "control plane" for the entire stack.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card