cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack Switch

Nishan
Level 1
Level 1

we have same 6 WS-C2960X-24TD-L switch which is in stack. in these 6 switch one of the switch is master with high priority configured 15. other 5 switch is member. if the master switch got faulty we know that another switch will take care the master purpose. so what are the things to be verified when inserting new switch in to stack.

1. do they need to be configured?

2. what are the procedures to be carried?

3. if I configured the new switch with high priority and put it back to stack what will be happening to other stack switch the configuration will take from this new switch. 

11 Replies 11

Jan Rolny
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Nishan,

1. make sure you have same IOS version on new switch as on running stack - if there is not this command configured on current stack: software auto-upgrade enable

2. ensure new switch has highest priority configured(in case it is master one) for instance switch x priority 15

3. TURN OFF device 

4. remove faulty switch and connect new switch

5. TURN ON device and check logs via console connection

Best regards,

Jan  

Dear Jan,

my question is while configuring the new switch as master and put in to stack. what will be happening other switch if the other switches will take the configuration from new switch at this time old configurations in the switch will be lost?

Hi Nishan,

even you add new switch with higher priority to the running stack, it will not preempt and reelection(master change) will not occur during that time you add new switch. So configuration remains on current stack as is and will be synchronized to the new added switch. So new switch will have configuration from running stack. 

I recommend to read this document there is comple more scenarios when new switch is added to the stack and what will happens:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_stck_152ex_2960-x_cg/b_stck_152ex_2960-x_cg_chapter_010.html#con_1228109

One paragraph from document above:

Effects of Replacing a Provisioned Switch in a Switch Stack

When a provisioned switch in a switch stack fails, it is removed from the stack, and is replaced with another switch, the stack applies either the provisioned configuration or the default configuration to it. The events that occur when the switch stack compares the provisioned configuration with the provisioned switch are the same as those when you add a provisioned switch to a stack.

Hope this help.

Best regards,

Jan

Nishan
Level 1
Level 1

hi jan,

what about the password recovery of the switches. do i need to do for each switch. 

In the Stack - the master switch has all the config, if you like to reset the password, you need to bring down the whole stack and reset the password on the master switch, (once you able to login - bring back the other  stack member online)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

that means i need to poweroff all other stack switch

Correct.

BB

Nishan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi balaji,

appreciate your response. while doing the password recovery does it affect the configuration files.

it will not effect your config - you are only recovery the password- if you follow the correct proceedure of password recovery.

BB

hi balaji

do you have the procedure to share with me. 

Power down the whole stack and do this on master switch :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/12040-pswdrec-2900xl.html

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card