Views
Helpful
Replies

stack upgrade

francisputi
Level 1
Level 1

hi 

if i opted to upgrade my 5 switch stack one by by one, what would be the sequence for this.

will i be upgrading the master 1st or the slaves. what is the best practice?

thank you

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In a stacking environment, you want to load the new IOS in all switches in the stack and than reboot all switches at the same time. The task needs to be performed in a maintenance window, as it is disruptive to your environment.

Not sure what type of switches you have but this is a link for 3850 series.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/117552-technote-cat3850-00.html

HTH

Hi Reza,

thank you for the feedback, what is want to reload it one at a time, what would be the sequence? do i start with the master or the slave?

Hi,

Reloading one at a time is not a good idea when you have stack of switches. Say, you reboot the master only with the new IOS, once reloaded, the master now has different IOS and will see the rest of the stack and so not you have a different switch as a master which is not what you want. So, load the IOS in all switches, set the boot parameters, reload the entire stack (all switches) from the master once and you should be good. Again, it is very important to do this type of work during a maintenance window as it is disruptive.

HTH

Martin L
VIP
VIP

I think switches will take image from Master, aka priority 15 who should be 1st in the stack, aka on top.

Once 1st one has new image; add command to rest of them but boot 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd, etc and boot only one a time.   

what is model of switch and version old to new? 

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We need more information about the model and IOs code running, and what Version you like to upgrade.

If it is install mode , you can easily upgrade from master to all. 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What is the model of the switches in the stack?
Upgrading the stack one member at a time is very time consuming and no longer in fashion.
Read the Release Notes because there is a better way to upgrade the entire stack with just one command.

Hi 

Im using a 2960x switch

We now have the information model of the switch,

what is the current verion and what is the version you like to upgrade ?

can you post show version

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card