Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking Configuration

Dear Team,

I have 2 no's of cisco 3750x switches and I am planning to do stacking, I read lot of articles and I have few doubts. Once i connected stack cable and I need to turn on master and member. How we can define that Switch 1 and Switch 2, once we defined then only we can set the priority to the switch. Please help me about how we can define switch 1 or switch 2.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Mohamed Kabeer S wrote:

Please help me about how we can define switch 1 or switch 2.

1. You decide which of the two will be switch 2.  
  2. Power down switch 2. 
  3. Make sure switch 1, the master, is still powered on. 
  4. Connect the stacking cables. 
  5. Power up the second switch. 
  6. Switch 2 is now "switch 2".

Hi

You can use the command: show switch, it will show you the amount of switches used for the stack, also you will be able to identify them through the MAC address of each switch (it can be found rear of the switch) also it will display the number assigned to the switch, 1, 2, 3.... 

So you can select who will be the master, standby and other members. Stacking uses priorities to define the roles, the higher priority will be assigned to the Master. 

I suggest configure the switches at the beginning before to install them at the network, if you have 2 switches you can have this configuration:

SW2(config)#switch <switch number> ?
priority              Set the priority of the specified switch
provision           Configure Switch provision / offline config
renumber          Renumber the specified switch number

If you want to renumber the switches you can use for example:

switch 2 renumber 1

switch 1 renumber 2

write and then reboot.

If the numbers are ok you can select the master and the standby:

switch 1 priority 15

switch 2 priority 14

write

reboot

Remember to connect the switches with both stack cables. 

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: