Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking with 3750X's

garry cordess
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on what can and can't stack together in the 3750X range.

I know that LAN Base can only stack with other LAN Base switches.

Can IP Base stack with IP services in 3750X?

I have also heard that the 15.x.x IOS restricts mixed feature set stacks?

I know that Cisco recommends that all switches in a stack have the same IOS and feature set but having all IP Services in a stack can get too expensive.

Many thanks,

Garry.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes, you can have IP base with IP services w/ 3750x

please refer to the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/15.0_2_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html

A mixed software stack with only Catalyst 3750-X, only Catalyst 3750-E, or only Catalyst 3750  switches supporting different features as stack members.

For example, a Catalyst 3750-X-only stack with some members running the  IP base feature set, other members running the IP services feature set,  and the remaining members running the IP services feature set.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes, you can have IP base with IP services w/ 3750x

please refer to the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/15.0_2_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html

A mixed software stack with only Catalyst 3750-X, only Catalyst 3750-E, or only Catalyst 3750  switches supporting different features as stack members.

For example, a Catalyst 3750-X-only stack with some members running the  IP base feature set, other members running the IP services feature set,  and the remaining members running the IP services feature set.

Hi Edison,

Ok many thanks for the response.

Regards,

Garry.

what about ipbase and lanbase?  I have a 3750X-24T-L I am trying to stack with a 3750X-24T-S and the former has a lanbase license, and the latter, ipbase.  I read that the lanbase needs to be at least version 15 (I am using c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE9).  I mean, I should say, I am trying to upgrade the iOS on each switch to the c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE9 version.  It is weird that when I enter the model number for the 3750X-24T-L it takes me to the same download as the 3750X-24T-S which is the ipbase.  But if I can't downgrade the ipbase switch to lanbase and I can't upgrade the lanbase switch to ipbase, then can I still stack the 2, if they are both running version 150-2.SE9?  I am trying to do this without contacting tech support - the switches are not under warranty and I don't want to spend a fortune on licenses.  So please let me know if it will work with both switches c3750x with the c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE9 image, even if one is lanbase and one is ipbase.  many thanks!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

15.0(1)SE (and later) and 15.0(2)SE are IOS versions you should try to avoid at all cost.

12.2(58)SE (and later) is the same.

Check the Release Notes for specific model compatibility but the most stable IOS I've ever used is the 12.2(55)SE6.

Hi Leolaohoo,

Many thanks for the response.

I will avoid the 15.0 IOS as you said. Is this that Cisco don't support a feature set (IP BASE and IP Services) mixed stack in the newer 15.x IOS I wonder?

Regards,

Garry.

No, 15.0(1)SE has un-resolved CPU hog bugs that, so far, hasn't been rectified.  15.0(2)SE also has some funny stuff happening.

12.2(58)SE, let's just say that I had so many tracebacks from this version, I've downgraded my switch fleets to 12.2(55)SE6 and has been chugging along without any issues (tracebacks) or crashes.

Ok, fair enough. Thanks again.

Regards,

Garry.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card