cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Standalone switch: same ip as default-gateway and interface vlan ip

keeran
Level 1
Level 1

I have a standalone switch that has the ip 192.168.172.230. I tried to configure same ip as the default-gateway for that switch, because it is an standalone. I just though i could point on the same swtich as default-gateway. It turned out, that it is not a good idea. While configuring i saw some connection problems and some configs i could not save because it just did not allow me to save. Also I lost the connection bettween devices connected to the switch. 

What is your expert-opinion about giving the same ip as default-gateway and interface vlan ip(management ip for the swtich) ? I know it wont make any different if i dont configure default-gateway since there is no connection that has to go out from my network.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You should never have the default gateway , being the same as the switch management address, usually the problem doesn't even apply because on modern devices the management interface uses a separate VRF. Also the default gateway can be different per configured VLAN/Subnet , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You should never have the default gateway , being the same as the switch management address, usually the problem doesn't even apply because on modern devices the management interface uses a separate VRF. Also the default gateway can be different per configured VLAN/Subnet , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

why you do this, it form routing loop, and packet is drop.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To be clear, you're asking about using the same switch IP for both management and a host gateway or assigning switch's default gateway to its own management IP?

i am talking about assigning swithc's default gateway its own management ip.

Just curious, if its like what i think. 

I fould that in an old config and asked myself how does this make sense....

sure it is typo, 

Well, if so, it's an error of some kind, perhaps as simple as being a typo, at mentioned by @MHM Cisco World.

You could use the same interface for both management and (if this is a L3 switch) as a gateway for connecting networks.  This would not generally be considered a good practice, which is why I believe @marce1000 writes "should never", but not just "never".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card