Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

standard 802.1aq

Hi everyone,

Why do you think, 802.1aq is not supported in Cisco switches? 

Do you know if Cisco has a protocol with the same caracteristics to 802.1aq.

I'd be greatful if you could give some information about 802.1q standard.

Thanks!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mfarrenkopf
Level 1
Level 1

Best that I can see, no one supports IEEE 802.1aq in its pure form.  They all have their own special implementations.  Cisco's is FabricPath.  I'd be speculating to guess why they don't just implement 802.1aq in its native form.  You've also got IEEE TRILL . . . guessing no one has come to agreement on which standard should win.

Careful on your standard numbers . . . 802.1aq is the Shortest Path Bridging standard.  802.1q is the VLAN tagging standard.  I'm sure it was a typo, but it makes a difference.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

mfarrenkopf
Level 1
Level 1

Best that I can see, no one supports IEEE 802.1aq in its pure form.  They all have their own special implementations.  Cisco's is FabricPath.  I'd be speculating to guess why they don't just implement 802.1aq in its native form.  You've also got IEEE TRILL . . . guessing no one has come to agreement on which standard should win.

Careful on your standard numbers . . . 802.1aq is the Shortest Path Bridging standard.  802.1q is the VLAN tagging standard.  I'm sure it was a typo, but it makes a difference.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card