Views
Helpful
Replies

startup-config vs running-config

ashleyreed4218
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning All:

Question about a silly thing that I have forgotten. I can get my configuration onto my switch as the startup-config but when I reload it does not become the running-config.  The running-config retains the old configuration. 

If I issue a 'write,' would that turn my new config into the running config?

Thank you in advance!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ton V Engelen
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

i use

switch# copy run start

(running-config startup config)

i think write does the same.

View solution in original post

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ashley,

What it sounds like is happening is that you're copying the config over to the startup config, but then when you reload it asks you to save the current config and you're saying yes. Copy the startup config over, but say no when it asks you to save the current and you should be good.

A write command will save the current running to the startup config and this doesn't sound like what you're wanting to do.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ton V Engelen
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

i use

switch# copy run start

(running-config startup config)

i think write does the same.

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ashley,

What it sounds like is happening is that you're copying the config over to the startup config, but then when you reload it asks you to save the current config and you're saying yes. Copy the startup config over, but say no when it asks you to save the current and you should be good.

A write command will save the current running to the startup config and this doesn't sound like what you're wanting to do.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card