Views
Helpful
Replies

Startup configuration has lost

yaredo70
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have 2960 Cisco switch. After I turn the switch off and back on and I get the "Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: " message again and the config is lost.

Please any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Yared

15 Replies 15

can I see 
show version 

please check the attached image

please all show version there is some info missing 

Configuration register is 0xf

Hi

If the switch is not saving the config , you need to see the config-Register.

Do the initial config and run the command "

config-register 0x2102

save and reload the switch

I tried that but the switch is not accepting the config-Register command 

Try confreg instead. Some switch may have this command different

https://network-knowledge.work/cisco-emptyconfig/
if the register is OK then you boot is OK but the SW bypass the startup config 

Yared

I appreciate your effort to provide additional information. But I agree with MHM that what you posted from show version was incomplete and did not have the part that is important to us. Please post the complete output of the command.

In the original post you say "and the config is lost". The symptoms suggest that it is not lost but is ignored. And thinking about that I am very surprised by the suggestion from @Flavio Miranda because using the value of 2142 is exactly the setting to say "ignore the startup config".

You said "I tried that but the switch is not accepting the config-Register command" When you tried this were you in exec user mode, or exec privilege mode, or in configuration mode? The command needs to be entered in configuration mode.

HTH

Rick

hi 

I put the command in configuration mode. 

sw(config)#config-register .... Unrecognized command 

show version <<- it may be no need for config register 

This is what I found

Configuration register is 0xf

Yared

Thank you for the update about the value of the config register. Our advice has been about values of 2102 or 2142 which are typical values for many Cisco devices. But  0xf probably is a common and valid value for your switch. And I believe that this value is not related to ignoring the startup config.

Can you tell us what version of code your switch is running?

HTH

Rick

yaredo70
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I ended up copying the backup configuration file and now everything works. But I still don't know the reason why this happened in the first place.  

Thank you all. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card