Views
Helpful
Replies

static Address in DHCP Pool

Marwan Ruslan
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Core Switch cat4000

I want to assign a specific IP to a specific host by MAC, i add the following but Host still take different IP Address:

ip dhcp pool F3
network 10.13.0.0 255.255.0.0
default-router 10.13.0.1
domain-name *****
dns-server x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

ip dhcp pool static
host 10.13.0.165 255.255.0.0
hardware-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xx

also i make release IP address on client and clear ip dhcp binding and renew ip address

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Troy Jackson
Level 1
Level 1

Whenever a DHCP client sends a DHCP discover message it will send its client identifier or MAC address. You can find what the switch has as the address by using a debug. Use ”debug ip dhcp server packet” and once you find the host’s discovery packet. It will have the a client-identifier. You can take that identifier of the host and configure it in the static pool.

ip dhcp pool static

client-identifier xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xx

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the star below.
-Troy J.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Troy Jackson
Level 1
Level 1

Whenever a DHCP client sends a DHCP discover message it will send its client identifier or MAC address. You can find what the switch has as the address by using a debug. Use ”debug ip dhcp server packet” and once you find the host’s discovery packet. It will have the a client-identifier. You can take that identifier of the host and configure it in the static pool.

ip dhcp pool static

client-identifier xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xx

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the star below.
-Troy J.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card