cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static DNS entries (ip host) mysteriously disappear

v.snijder
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to add a static DNS entry (ip host) to our 1800 router  (current up to date IOS)

But over time, the entry seems to just disappear automatically ?!?

The problem is that the DNS name also exists in the 'outside world' , but i want it to strictly resolve to a local LAN IP.

( I need it for LAN users reaching our mailserver, by using the same DNS name on the LAN , as on the outside )

As an example ,  Say you would want to resolve www.cisco.com to a LAN IP :

Router# conf t

Router(config)# ip host www.cisco.com 192.168.1.1

And this works perfectly fine ...

But only for about an hour, when the static DNS entry is mysteriously deleted from the running-config ?!?!?

I don't get it ...

- - --

So, HOW can i make a TRUE static DNS entry , that stays fixed and never disapears ? ?

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Vincent

The ip host command is used by the router itself to resolve a name to an address. Have you configured your router to serve as the DNS server for your LAN devices?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes, the router functions as DNS server.

The problem is that the static enries work fine for about an hour (both from the router and LAN devices)

and then they disappear .....

PS :  Here i found a similar issue , unresolved  :

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/39482

Vincent

Would you post the entire config of the router (changing/obscuring any public addresses passwords etc)? This might give us more insight into what is going on.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I just found out what the problem is ...

All the time I was struggling with this issue, I did so without reloading the router.

After reloading the router, the problem seems to be solved.

Static DNS entries (ip host) are now kept and don't mysteriously disappear.

So it's working fine now.

Apparantly there is some kind of bug in the IOS?

However it is the newest one   ( c180x-adventerprisek9-mz.151-4.M5.bin )

Vincent

I am glad that you have resolved your issue with host names. Thank you for posting back to the forum to tell us that it is solved and what you did to solve it. Sometimes it is helpful to be reminded that there are some situations where a reboot does resolve an issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card