Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static Route to a Server via Switch port

Hi All

would appreciate your help here I have the below setup where  Server 1 is sending requests with destination of 2.2.2.3 and this has to be routed via that Server 2 for some SIP vendor reasons (as currently my network is routing through some other path to get to 2.2.2.3).

is there is a way to do that? or is it impossible?

is it possible to have static route with next-hop of a server IP address which is connected via L2 switchport in some particular VLAN.

like below  ip route 2.2.2.3 255.255.255.255 1.1.1.2

Where 2.2.2.3 is a server 3 directly connected to server 2 and the next-hop here is Server 2 IP address in  VLAN X (1.1.1.2) please refer to the  diagram below.

Will it work as switch will Arp to get the MAC to of 1.1.1.2 and forward it out that L2 interface my guess it will not as the next-hop 1.1.1.2 is via VLAN X but can I do something about that under interface VLAN

Do anybody have any suggestions.

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In you scenario, you need to turn server 2 to a router since it has 2 IP segments attached to it.

The easiest way may be to connect both servers (2 and 3) to the switch and use the switch to do the routing for you instead.  specialty since your switch is already layer-3, this should be really easy.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card