Helpful
Replies

steps to break the stack

kirankumarhm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to know the steps to break the stacked switch

I have 2 2960S - 48 port switch which is pre configured for stack... but now i would like to use only one Switch not 2 switches...hence could anyone please let me know the steps to break the configuration

switch 1 provision ws-c2960s-48fps-l

switch 2 provision ws-c2960s-48fps-l

Thanks

2 Replies 2

csarto
Level 1
Level 1

What can you see with a "show switch" command?

The situation it's not clear, anyway if the second switch is not yet connected you can simply do this:

conf t

no switch 2 provision ws-c2960s-48fps-l

end

with this command you remove the configuration related to ports G2/0/1 to G2/0/48 and uplinks for the 2nd switch.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ok, let us presume you do not want to use switch 2.

So you POWER DOWN switch 2 and remove the stacking cable.  On switch 1 (the master), you then issue the command "no switch 2 prov ws-c2960s-48fps-l".

Next, power up switch 2 and issue the renumber command "switch 2 renumber 1".  Reboot this switch and the switch interface will now be "Gi 1/0/X" instead of "Gi 2/0/X".

You also may want to ensure that switch 2 (or ex-switch 2) doesn't have any stack election "priority" set.  You can find out by using the command "sh switch detail".  If the value is "1" then it's good.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card