Views
Helpful
Replies

Storm Control

jay_7301
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I just wanted to check before proceeding with deployment. I'm looking to deploy storm control to prevent any large amount of broadcast traffic. Where is this feature best deployed on the edge facing interfaces? or on the uplinks facing another switch?

I believe on the edge so broadcast traffic is prevented from entering the switch, if you only do it on the uplink then broadcast traffic can still enter that switch. Is my understanding correct here?

Im looking to use the command below for all edge facing ports. I believe this command command will drop any broadcast traffic exceeding 10m and allow all other traffic like unicast/multicast. It will also send a trap when it exceeds this amount. Correct me if i'm wrong here?

Int gig1/0/1

storm-control broadcast level bps 10m

storm-control action trap

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The user-facing ports on the access switches are the right place. What type of switch and what version of IOS are you running? The deployment can differ based on the platform and the IOS you are running. In some switches, the command is percentage based and not defined by Mbps.

HTH

Here is an example from the 4500 series:

That is 1 percent of a gig

storm-control broadcast include multicast
storm-control broadcast level 1.00
storm-control action trap
spanning-tree portfast edge

You can also define it in Mbps on this platform.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card