Views
Helpful
Replies

STP over wireless bridge as a backup

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Guys

We have some cisco 9200 switches, there are 2 connections between them, 1 is a fiber, the other will be a backup link using a ubiquiti wireless bridge.

The bridge has an option to enable STP, my question is what will this do? do we need to enable STP on the bridge? or if its off will it simply relay the bpdu's transparently between the switches?

Also as sometimes wireless can be unreliable, do we need to tune stp at all? 

cheers

10 Replies 10

Hi @carl_townshend 

STP is meant to avoid loop, right? So, the bridge is only connected to the switch and is not possible to cause the loop.  I dont see why to use STP on the bridge.

Now, on the switch, if the fiber link is layer2, you can cause a loop as the switch have 2 connection, on this case the STP is required. And yes, the bridge should forward all traffic between switches included STP traffic and the bridge itself does not need to participate on the STP process.

Hi Flavio

We have 2 switches, they are connected directly via fiber, and then we also have an ethernet bridge plugged into each switch for a backup connection, so indeed there is a loop here.

Hello Carl
Can you post a simple diagram how this is setup please?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

carl_townshend_0-1704202846121.png

still my post valid :

Layer 2 STP - if you enable you can make fibre as primary by changing the STP Priorities.

check some Tunings :

https://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=2995351&seqNum=2

Other suggestion - if Layer 2 not must convert them to Layer 3, so you can play with IGP between site which link path primary and secondary.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Layer 2 STP - if you enable you can make fibre as primary by changing the STP Priorities.

check some Tunings :

https://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=2995351&seqNum=2

Other suggestion - if Layer 2 not must convert them to Layer 3, so you can play with IGP between site which link path primary and secondary.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi, I think the issue we are worried about and have seen before is where the wifi drops the bpdu's etc and loopguard or udld kicks in.

Hello,

if you keep this a layer 2 topology, STP really is the fastest and most reliable 'failover' option. Why would the bridge drop the BPDUs ? Under what circumstances have you seen this happening ?

Wifi is not as reliable as cable, it is a wireless bridge operating over a few hundred meters, weather, trees etc can all play a part in this

Hello
Yes i would say STP on the L2 bridge is most applicable, you can cost out the STP path to accommodate your preferred l2 switch path but by default switching should take the physical fibre path.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card