cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

STP

jain.manish94
Spotlight
Spotlight

Please can someone tell me meaning of each line.

Port 257 (GigabitEthernet3/1) of VLAN0102 is designated forwarding
Port path cost 4, Port priority 128, Port Identifier 128.257.
Designated root has priority 4198, address d0c7.89a9.c940
Designated bridge has priority 4198, address d0c7.89a9.c940
Designated port id is 128.257, designated path cost 0
Timers: message age 0, forward delay 0, hold 0
Number of transitions to forwarding state: 1
Link type is point-to-point by default
BPDU: sent 427353, received 3

125 Replies 125

No if it goes down its down so the only available kicks in  , you can set it to decrement but your config does not show that but as its down and the only other hsrp pair is sw2 that will become active and take over from sw1

That's limited config preempt should be on both switches and the primary switch should be set to lower the value too

you mean switch 2 become as an active ... ? 

if sw1 fails yes sw2 will take over with a priority of 100 its default as its the only active switch

ok in this case what information they will share to each other so sw2 can become active like any hello packet or anything else. ?

yes exactly they use hello packets to notify each other , better off using something like GLBP though same type protocol nhrp but cisco proprietary and you can load balance across each switch you have it on , much smarter

thanks for your reply . where do you work 

just click my name , you can see peoples bio work etc

Hello Mark, 

how are you ,

i forgot to tell you please can you help me regarding this issue..

our users are facing one problem that is 

I have 2 machines in site  which is experiencing this issue

actually there are getting two Default gateway 

exp. 

why they are getting 0.0.0.0

please can  you help me it is urgent....

Hello Mark, 

how are you ,

i forgot to tell you please can you help me regarding this issue..

our users are facing one problem that is 

I have 2 machines in site  which is experiencing this issue

actually there are getting two Default gateway 

exp. 

why they are getting 0.0.0.0

please can  you help me it is urgent....

Looks like duplicate logs can you post the full log output your seeing

you will need to trace the macs and check the ips that are configured or assigned

EDIT:Do you have ip device tracking enabled if not resolve the macs you see in the logs to where there located and check the ip assigned , someone may have set a static ip address that has also been given out by dhcp , that can generate a 0.0.0.0 log too

Hello 

they are getting ip address from dhcp server and i checked dhcp server there is no any problem in dhcp server. multipal users are facing same problem at site.i checked one user getting 

10.2.55.1 gw

0.0.0.0  gw

here it is getting two gateway with one ip address...

Hello Mark , 

Good Morning, 

How are you. 

please when you free reply regarding above question. i sent all details if anything required please let me know 

can you post exactly what your seeing because there's not enough there to make a call on it , is that from the pc output your seeing this ?

Hers the problem in a doc if ip tracking is enabled

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/8021x/116529-problemsolution-product-00.html

Yes this is from PC at client pc . i have only this information that there pc are getting two default gateway ...

you need to investigate that I cant give an answer from that output really , it could be a bad interface or bad wan link , if your on the router with the wan link connected are  the results the same , if not the wan links probably ok and the issue is between the router and the pc sending the ping , you would then need to check each interface the traffic is passing through and make sure there is no issue like crcs or bad cabling , if you on the router check the interface is clean if it is log the circuit out with the local provider to check it

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card