Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subneting vs VLAN Question

Using 2901 Router and SG300 SMB mgd switches with 2504 WLC and 10 - 2601i AP

Was thinking of using 192.168.x.x/21 subnetted to give me 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.7.255 for 2048 hosts

I was going to run everything on this flat LAN - pc, printers, wifi, laptop, phones, ip cameras, streaming media.

I would use QoS to control bandwidth.

Is VLAN a better option for switch and router performance?

We are a large Apple user and need all the latest mobile to mobile - Airplay - etc to work without all the mulitcast or VLAN pass through.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

7 Replies 7

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Yes offcourse VLAN are the best options to segregate your network. See there are two ways to look into this;

1- If you want all the devices to be on one subnet then there is no need of vlan all belongs to by default vlan 1.

2- If you want it to be segregated and manage it properly then VLAN's come into picture. Were  you get to manage your network in pretty decent way by dividing them and having them in seperate vlans.

Here is the below link which explains about the advantages of using the vlans;

http://www.omnisecu.com/cisco-certified-network-associate-ccna/advantages-of-vlan.htm

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate all usefull posts.

Gregory Snipes
Level 4
Level 4

Generally best practice for VLAN segregation is break up devices by function. Place user PCs in one VLAN, IP phones in another, printers in another, etc... This allows you to apply QOS and security policies specific to each type of device at the layer 2/3 boundary.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Was thinking of using 192.168.x.x/21 subnetted to give me 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.7.255 for 2048 hosts

I was going to run everything on this flat LAN - pc, printers, wifi, laptop, phones, ip cameras, streaming media.

BTW, generally it's considered inadvisable to use one flat VLAN/subnet that host 2K hosts.  This because of broadcast traffic.

schaef350
Level 1
Level 1

I would terminate your Wireless into a seperate VLAN for sure and route/ACL it at a L3 deivce for security.  You also want to keep any un needed broadcasts off your wireless for performance reasons.

I recall the max recommendation being 512 hosts per VLAN / subnet.  I would go fewer with Macs as they seem to be supper chatty depending what type of stuff is running on them...

Aside from that I would agree with JosephDpherty and suggest splitting VLANs out by function as well.

- Be sure to rate all helpful posts -

- Be sure to rate all helpful posts

I've always heard that /24 or /23 are the recommended sizes for vlans, but I've definitely setup some vlans in data centers that are up to /21 for VDI solutions. I've never had a problem with performance.

My point is, some times it's ok to bend the rules if your scenario permits it.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

graeme2010
Level 1
Level 1

Definitely split the traffic types into separate VLANs / subnets. This will make it easier to do QoS as well. Using a flat network is not advised particularly when you have a lot of different traffic types and a large number of hosts.

Also use a layer 3 capable switch so that you avoid the router-on-a-stick scenario. Use a switch to handle routing between VLANs, while handing off Internet traffic to the router. I think the SMB300 switches can do routing to some extent, but not sure off-hand.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, VLAN is the best options to segregate your network. but there are two consideration ;

1- If you want all the devices to be on one subnet then there is no need of vlan all belongs to by default vlan 1.

2-  If you want it to be segregated and manage it properly then VLAN's come  into picture. Were  you get to manage your network in pretty decent way  by dividing them and having them in seperate vlans.

This will make it easier to do QoS as well.

For more detail you can check the below link.

http://www.omnisecu.com/cisco-certified-network-associate-ccna/advantages-of-vlan.htm

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card