cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Supporting a 10G connection to a 4507R+E via the 10G interface on the SUP8L - yes or no

Sensei Doug
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I support a customer network which has at it's core a 4507R+E with dual WS-X45-SUP8L-E/2 supervisors. We have 2 WS-X4624-SFP-E blades which support 1G connections using either LX or SX Gbics. First, I am fairly confindent, but I would still like to confirm that these blades cannot support a 10G interface. Secondly, I see that there are 4 slots on each of the SUP8 modules that look like they would accomodate a 10G interface. I belive that the Cisco documentation refers to these as 2xdual 10G slots. I believe what that means is that I can use up to 2 10G connections per SUP. Is that correct. Third and finally I would like to know if it is recommended or intended that any of these 10G interfaces on the SUPs be used to connect to a new 10G access switch. The network has served the customer well for 10 years supporting 1G connections from the 4507 to over a dozen access switches, but the customer is now considering a 10G access layer switch in one location that would need to connect to the 4507 at 10G, and I am hoping to recommend a solution to support that scenario. Thanks for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Sensei Doug wrote:

I believe what that means is that I can use up to 2 10G connections per SUP. Is that correct.

Correct. 
Use them whatever you want.  Can be used as a downlink (connect to access switches) or uplink (connect to core).

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Sensei Doug wrote:

I believe what that means is that I can use up to 2 10G connections per SUP. Is that correct.

Correct. 
Use them whatever you want.  Can be used as a downlink (connect to access switches) or uplink (connect to core).

Thanks for the quick reply!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card