cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Supporting BGP

npatel0011
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, We were proposed with a new routing protocol from our support services. The routers are running EIGRP right now, and will be transferred over to BGP. Inorder for the BGP to work, our LAN switch which is a L3 Cisco Catalyst 4500 series needs to be able to run BGP routing. Now i know that the switch is capable of BGP. but are there any issues that I need to look at before rolling out? Will my Switch be able to handle the routes? Thanks for the help!

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You need to have the proper license to do BGP on the 4500.  So, first check your installed license on the 4500.  As for the number of routes, the switch should be able to handle your internal routes.

HTH

Proper License? do you mean the IPBASE image? Also would it be a good idea to have the same updated ios as the router? that shouldn't affect bgp right?

Thanks for all the Help Reza!

To do BGP on the 4500, you need Enterprise license.  See below link:

Also, you don't need to have the same updated IOS as the router.  That should not make any difference and the IOS for routers vs switches usually are not the same anyway.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/at_a_glance_c45-619755.pdf

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card