cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Supporting VSS and WS-X6708-10G-3C on a 6509-E

robert.mcclain
Level 1
Level 1

I have 6 6509E chassis switches that I want to trunk to a set of Nexus 5k switches. I want to use the 8 port 10G card for connectivity to them from each 6509, but I am not sure if the SUP-720-3B is the right SUP to use. I would like to run VSS on all 3 sets of chassis, I already know I need to upgrade my IOS (12.2.17 to 12.2.(33)SXH2) to support the VSS. Any recommendations on what SUP to go to to get optimal performance?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You need a VS-S720 for VSS support.  I.e. your 720-3Bs do not support VSS.

Depending on your line cards, you might want to also consider the sup2T, instead.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You need a VS-S720 for VSS support.  I.e. your 720-3Bs do not support VSS.

Depending on your line cards, you might want to also consider the sup2T, instead.

Thanks for the answer. I saw where the SUP-720-3B supported the 10G cards but i didn't see that it didn't support VSS. I will be looking at the SUP-2T i believe.

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

BTW, for long term, the sup2T is probably a better choice and it (did) cost about the same as a VS-S720.

I'm checking line cards for compatibility. looking at using the SUP-2T-10GE, any other versions I should look at? I'm not sure if the VS-S2T-10G will work. It looks like the  WS-X6708-10G-TL is the 10G line card I need and not  WS-X6708-10G-3C

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

For the sup2T, you'll want to look at the 69xx line cards.

BTW, for the VS-S720 (and the sup2t), less line cards are supported when running VSS.

If you want to go down Sup2T, then I'd recommend you talk to your Cisco SE/AM about the 6807-X chassis for future proofing.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card