Replies

SVL and VRRP on C9500

mnice
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I hope you'll be fine

I need information on these two techniques (SVL and VRRP) on C9500

1 - Can the SVL forward the traffic from the SLAVE device to the MASTER device ?

2 - Is it possible to activate VRRP on this type of equipment with multiple interfaces TRUNK connected to multiple switchs (Access For Users, print .....)?

Regards.

19 Replies 19

If a FHRP is being used on a router (or L3 switch routed) interface, the interface would normally be to a switch.

When you're doing a FHRP on a L3 switch, it's usually applied to a SVI.

Where are your VLAN gateway interfaces now?

Hello Joseph,

The VLAN gateway is on the two SW L3 on where I want to configure a HA.

As you know these two SW L3 have several interfaces (3 per device) to SW L2

Regards.

"The VLAN gateway is on the two SW L3 on where I want to configure a HA."

As a SVI?  If so, that's where you configure your FHRP.

If you have two gateways, one per switch, with different PCs using them.  First, you need to insure VLAN # is the same VLAN across both switches (usually via a trunk between switches).  Then you can either define just one virtual gateway IP, which means insuring all hosts (e.g. PCs will use that virtual gateway IP), or you can, with later HSRP implementations (unsure about VRRP) have two virtual IPs that the other switch provides the backup for.

Hello Joseph,

Yes SVI interfaces and the VLAN is the same on both SWL3

The idea is to have only one virtual ip for all the users, for the master device I can keep using the same ip for the svi and virtual and with backup device use a different ip on SVI with the same virtual ip used on master device

The problem is that with VRRP I think it will not be possible with the current architecture (3 links from SWL3 to SWL2) but I will use either the SVL or the configuration you sent me before.

After research i found that the old generation equipments, the VRRP can be configured directly on the SVI interface contrarily on the 9K it's configured outside and especially on the physical interfaces of the links connected to the distribution or access part (My point).

Thanks Joseph for your support

Hello Joseph,

I apologize for this late return.

Thank you so much for this explanation and information it is very clear.

Regards.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card