cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SW-4500 SFP GLC-LH-SMD in compatible with Switch Moxa´s (EDS408A-MM-SC)?

Lucio Garrido
Level 1
Level 1
SW-4500 SFP GLC-LH-SMD in compatible with Switch Moxa´s (EDS408A-MM-SC)?
3 Replies 3

Paul Chapman
Level 4
Level 4

Hi -

Based on the part numbers provided I would say no.  The Cisco GLC-LH-SMD is a Single Mode Fiber module.  The Moxa part is Multi Mode Fiber.

There are signaling differences between single mode and multi-mode.  On the Cisco side change to GLC-SX-MMD.  If your connection is longer than 300m, then you will need to change to a single mode module on the Moxa side.

PSC

Hi Paul,

Thank you for you response, I have had the opportunity to verify this module and not active the communication, in another cisco post I read that it was possible mybe that with the module GLC-GE-100FX active the communication becouse the capability of the ports of Moxa Switch are 10/100 full duplex, in the switch 4500 the ports are 10/100/10000/10G, so, for this reason our moduls were adquire at 1G and 10G, in summary I need test with the module 100FX to macth the transmision speed.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12301251/moxa-eds-408a-mm-sc-cisco-3750x-glc-ge-100fx-slow-communication

I did other test by changing the jumper to singe mode and multi mode and the result was the same, of course each jumper hat its respective SFP modules.

What do you think?

Regards!

Hi -

Multiple Corrections...

I made a minor error in my previous post (now corrected).  The GLC-LH-SMD is not going to be compatible with the Moxa.

This isn't about transmission speed, it is about media and signaling.  The GLC-LH-SMD transmits light with a wavelength of 1310nm (standard for single mode fiber).  The model of Moxa switch you referred to is transmitting at 850nm (standard for multi-mode fiber).  The receive sensors on both sides are designed to receive the same wavelength that is transmitted. I reread the spec on the Moxa.  My initial glance showed it being a 1Gb uplink, not 100Mb.  I believe that you are on the correct track here.  More likely you need a GLC-FE-100FX (instead of GLC-GE-100FX), but I could be wrong.

Swap one side or the other so that the fiber transmission standard matches on both.  For the Cisco side the part number is GLC-SX-MMD.

PSC

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card