Helpful
Replies

Switch 3750G-12S-S Configuration

wafaawassif
Level 1
Level 1

I have one switch 3750G12S

I joined the company new,

I found that they want to replace it with Alcatel stack switches.

I didnt configure this Cisco switch before.

I need some help on how to configure it.

I have 4 other new cisco switches in the topology which is not created yet.

the 4 switches are all 2960.

Need some help please.

17 Replies 17

Jan Hrnko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Wafaa,

I believe that everyone from the cisco support community would be happy to help, but we need more detail. What you want to configure, what is precisely the topology you are dealing with and so on...

So please try to be more specific and firt of all, try to ask some questions. We are here to help!

Best regards,

Jan

Sorry but no body replied to this message so I will write it again briefly down.

One more Question, can we stack 3750G12S with 2960S-48TS-L?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Wafaa Wassif wrote:

One more Question, can we stack 3750G12S with 2960S-48TS-L?

If you mean as 3750 stack with 3750s and 2960S stack with 2960Ss, no.  They use different stacking technologies.

Joseph, I mean to connect 3750G-12s Switch "not stack" with a 2960S-48-TS-L Switch "not stack"

Thanks. is that possible to stack them together?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Wafaa Wassif wrote:

Joseph, I mean to connect 3750G-12s Switch "not stack" with a 2960S-48-TS-L Switch "not stack"

Thanks. is that possible to stack them together?

Yes, you can interconnect the 3750G-12S with the 2960S-48-TS-L although you'll need to use SFPs on the 3750G.  If you use copper SFPs on the 3750G, believe you can connect to the 2960S copper port or(/otherwise) you'll need to connect to the 2960S SFP+ ports.

You also have the option to "stack" all your 2960S (if they are physically together).  If you do, you then would need only one connection between the 3750G and the 2960S stack, although more could be used, such as at least a 2nd to another stack member to provide stack uplink redundancy.

Thanks Joseph

If I will stack them using SFP, can you help me with the configuration?

Do I need to put an IP for every VLAN1 interface on everyswitch of the 2960S

or it is enough one IP on 3750G-12S?

Because in the express setup, they always ask for the IP for Vlan1, or i can skip it

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Unsure what exactly "stack them using SFP" means to you.  I consider stacking using special stacking capabilities of some switches, but you might be using it as just interconnecting the 3750 and the 2960Ss, especially in a daisy chain configuration (which if is what you intend, I would suggest you avoid).

"Do I need to put an IP for every VLAN1 interface on every switch of the 2960S or it is enough one IP on 3750G-12S?

Because in the express setup, they always ask for the IP for Vlan1, or i can skip it"

Normally L2 manageable switches have a management IP, which often is left on vlan1 especially if you're not going to have multiple VLANs.  If you are going to have multiple VLANs, best practice recommendation, I recall, is to have a dedicated management VLAN, which is different from VLAN 1.

You can configure the 3750G as a L3 switch, create VLAN's for the data, servers, IP Phones and connect the other switches accordingly to this switch. 

Thanks Mohamed, can you make it clear more for me, since this is the first time to configure this 3750 switch, if you have sample configuration, that I can read, to get a back ground or other links that help.

Note; the switch will be used as a core switch and I have to connect to it 4 switches 2960, 2 dedicated for data only  and 2 for IP phones and data.

Well to use it as a L3 switch you'll enable routing on it by running the command

ip routing

You can create VLAN's something like this (example)

VLAN 100 = 192.168.100.0/24 (Management)

VLAN 101 = 192.168.101.0/24 (Data)

VLAN 102 = 192.168.102.0/24 (Voice)

Setup the trunk ports on this switch and connect 2960's to it.  It is a good idea to hard code all the settings on the trunk port on both ends something like this (example)

interface gi1/0/1

switchport trunk encap dot1q

switchport mode trunk

speed 1000

duplex full

Thanks Mohammed, can I get you mail, or phone for more help

my email address is walwafwassif@hotmail.com

I have to begin configuring switches tomorrow.

Because I am little confused, , Joseph was talking about using one Vlan

and U r talking about multiple.

I will wait ur reply on my email.

Thanks for ur help.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Because I am little confused, , Joseph was talking about using one Vlan

and U r talking about multiple.

Yes, that's correct becuase you can do either.  Which is really best depends much on what you want to accomplish.

As a very rough rule-of-thumb, for performance or network stability, you usually want to have different subnets when a single /24 subnet won't contain all your hosts.  Again, want to emphasis that's a rough rule-of-thumb; i.e. sometimes smaller subnets are required and sometimes larger (by a factor of 2 or 4, i.e. /23 or /22) are okay too.

Subnets can be used for logical splits too, which is often good practice, and is what Mohammed is suggesting.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card