cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch not obtaining management IP beyond Router

callen15
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have two switches, SW1 and SW2 as well as an ISR router. I have a subinterface on the router (g0/0/0.2) that I've given an IP through DHCP on VLAN 2.  g0/0/0.2 is connected to SW1 via Trunk port. My secondary router interface (g0/0/1) has a subinterface, (g0/0/1.2) I'm wanting to give SW2 a management IP from VLAN2. How would I go about making this work?

Forgot to add: VLAN 2 is the native on the trunked port connecting to g0/0/0.2. We host in DHCP server in that subnet that gives out the 10.4.1.0/24 addresses for management. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

try the following to bridge the rtrs two interfaces so to allow communication between the two switches.

rtr < 

bridge irb
bridge 2 protocol ieee
bridge 2 route ip

interface x/0
interface x/0.2
encapsulation dot1Q 2
bridge-group 2

interface x/1
interface x/1.2
encapsulation dot1Q 2
bridge-group 2

interface BVI2
ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Usually, it is not possible to assign IPs from the same subnet to 2 different sub-interfaces. For that to work, you may want to look at IRB.

See document for config example:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/integrated-routing-bridging-irb/17054-741-10.html

HTH

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure what is the use case here, if you have 1 router, you need to have 2 exit paths, you already have one, why do you need another IP address on the same subnet on another interface?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I wanted my second switch (the one connected to g0/0/1) to obtain a management IP (10.4.1.0/24) from VLAN2. Analogous to how one would connect a trunk port on one switch to another trunk on a different switch and pass VLAN info and use the native VLAN to hand out a management IP via DHCP

Hello

try the following to bridge the rtrs two interfaces so to allow communication between the two switches.

rtr < 

bridge irb
bridge 2 protocol ieee
bridge 2 route ip

interface x/0
interface x/0.2
encapsulation dot1Q 2
bridge-group 2

interface x/1
interface x/1.2
encapsulation dot1Q 2
bridge-group 2

interface BVI2
ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card