Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch simple question

This is such a easy question but i doesn't know how to answer it.

I have a 2960 SW new just out of the box. No config were done.

I want to connect several servers to the SW so that the servers can get DHCP ip address. Kinda like a hub...

but the server couldn't get the DHCP ip.....no config, just a flat network...is it can be done??

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you take the switch fresh out of the box and power it up all ports will be active in vlan 1. You can connect your servers to switch ports and they should come active as access ports. The real question is whether you have some device connected to the switch that provides DHCP to the connected devices. If you do have a device providing DHCP and it has an appropriate scope configured then it should work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

it is a 24 port switch. Port 24 connected to the local LAN that provide DHCP address.

The others port 1-5 connected to server. Why the server can't get the DHCP?

We do not have enough information to be able to answer the question of why the server cant get DHCP. You have told us that it is a 2960 just out of the box. So it should be that all ports are configured as access ports in the default vlan. But you have not told us anything about how the switch connects to the local LAN. What does port 24 connect to? Is the local lan a flat network with a single VLAN or are there multiple VLANs?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

if the port is access it would look like this

interface FastEthernet0/1
 switchport mode access

but rather the newly out of the box sw look like this

interface FastEthernet0/1

interface FastEthernet0/2

interface FastEthernet0/3

why the sw can't be like a normal unmanaged switch?? 

shouldnt if i plug many servers i can expand the network?

something like, i have one internet access and i want to share it for 5 servers, but i wont work, why??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: