Views
Helpful
Replies

switch stack takes 30 seconds to come up

Benjamin Waldon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I am preparing a group of switches for production and noticed some interesting behavior. I am interested in getting some feedback on it.

Allright, This is the enviornment. I have two 3750G switches stacked via the stacking cable. I have two 2960 switches connected to those via redundant connections as etherchannels. Here is a diagram:

image.png

So, I have it connected and I am concurrently pinging everything. Each PC is pinging:

- The other PC

- It's own Access Switch

- The other Access Switch

- The core switch stack

These are all continous pings and the all is well. I also checked the device manager to verify that the traffic is being spread across both links in the etherchannel. However, If I pull power from one of the 3750 Switches, it takes approx 30 seconds for the traffic to be successful. (the ping to it's own access switch doesn't miss a beat). Once all the pings start coming back, I plug the switch back in. Once it (the switch that went down) fully boots, I drop a few pings to the stack and everything is fine.

I have tested it several times and there appears to be a few differnet variations of the results. Sometimes other devices come back faster than others. Seems like if I kill the master it takes a harder hit than if I kill the member. But, generally speaking I can't expect a full recovery for 30 seconds.

So, my questions are...

is this normal?

Should I expect faster recovery via a stack like this?

Is there anyway to improve this?

I did not configure persistent mac address in the stack configuration. Could that impact this?

If it's not indicative of a problem or misconfiguration, I am inclined to let it be. I think a 30 second automated recovery is within the scope of the availability expectations. However, if it means that I might have done it wrong, I'd like to get it corrected.

Thanks,

Ben

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Ben,

if the stack is the root bridge for the vlan take in account the following notes about STP and stacks

If the stack master fails or leaves the stack, the stack members elect a new stack master, and all stack members change their bridge IDs of the spanning trees to the new master bridge ID.

If the switch stack is the spanning-tree root and the stack master fails or leaves the stack, the stack members elect a new stack master, and a spanning-tree reconvergence occurs

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swstp.html#wp1280701

So the fact that things are worse when you switch off the stack master is explained by STP activity.

30 seconds out of service is compatible with backbone fast.

you can check spanning-tree using commands like

show spanning-tree summary

show spanning-tree vlan vlan#

You should see a change in bridge-id after failure of stack master.

I wonder if Mac address persistency could provide a better result by hiding this change of master.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1206500

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ben

Have you turned on portfast on the interfaces facing the PCs? if not turn it on by using "spanning-tree portfast" command and try again.

The failover should not take 30 seconds.

HTH

Reza

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ben,

I agree with Reza.  These are the following things I would start looking for:

1.  STP portfast enabled on the access ports?
2.  Are there any SmartStack errors or are the stacking cables connected correctly?

Are you pinging, for instance, the Management VLAN of the 3750 stack which also happens to be the default gateway of the PC?

Failover should be fast but the recovery, on the other hand, is different.  When the Master recover, there's an election.  This is the killer.  You can try by manually setting the master with a higher priority (switch 1 priority 15)  with the slave a lower priority (switch 2 priority 9).

Hi Ben, I agree,

The 30 seconds is the Re-election of the Stack.. Manual setting of priorities should fix this.

Dion

Benjamin Waldon
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks to everyone for you input. looking at the electin aspect for a moment, A couple of points:

1. I already have the priority configured. see below:

Core-3750-1#sh switch
     Switch/Stack Mac Address : 6416.8d85.9a00
                                                H/W   Current
     Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State
     ----------------------------------------------------------
     *1       Master 6416.8d85.9a00     10     0       Ready              
      2       Member 6416.8d9a.bd80     5      0       Ready            

this is prior to me posting the initial question in this thread.

2. on the console of the switch that doesn't get powered on, I get the below output within the first 1-2 seconds:

1d19h: %STACKMGR-4-SWITCH_REMOVED: Switch 1 has been REMOVED from the stack
     1d19h: %STACKMGR-4-MASTER_ELECTED: Switch 2 has been elected as MASTER of the stack
     1d19h: %CFGMGR-6-APPLYING_RUNNING_CFG: as new master

does this indicate that it's probably a spanning tree issue and not a election issue?

3. There is something that I don't quite understand. Obviously, I am not an expert or I wouldn't be asking you all. But, I only have two switches. Why should the election process take 30 seconds? And if the priority is configured, how does that decrease the election time. IE if Switch 2 has a priority of 5, how does that decrease the election time when there is no other switch attached? If the standard election time is 30 seconds, can we reduce it?

4. Is there a debug command that I can use during the election process to track it?

Also attached (SwitchLog.txt) is the sh run on the core switch.

I will try the spanning tree portfast next.

Thanks guys,

Ben

Ben,

It should not take 30 seconds.

Stack master elections occur over a 10-second time frame on switches running releases earlier than Cisco IOS Release 12.2(20)SE3.

And here is the entire document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_50_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1234264

HTH

Reza

Hello Ben,

if the stack is the root bridge for the vlan take in account the following notes about STP and stacks

If the stack master fails or leaves the stack, the stack members elect a new stack master, and all stack members change their bridge IDs of the spanning trees to the new master bridge ID.

If the switch stack is the spanning-tree root and the stack master fails or leaves the stack, the stack members elect a new stack master, and a spanning-tree reconvergence occurs

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swstp.html#wp1280701

So the fact that things are worse when you switch off the stack master is explained by STP activity.

30 seconds out of service is compatible with backbone fast.

you can check spanning-tree using commands like

show spanning-tree summary

show spanning-tree vlan vlan#

You should see a change in bridge-id after failure of stack master.

I wonder if Mac address persistency could provide a better result by hiding this change of master.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1206500

Hope to help

Giuseppe

ansalaza
Level 1
Level 1

Try enabling Uplinkfast on both of your Access Switches and try again.

HTH.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: