Helpful
Replies

Switch Stacking

Waheed Eladawy
Level 1
Level 1

Good Evening,

I have a 2 Switch Stacking <A> and <B>, I need to know

1- is the logFile of the Switches be in the main Switch (Commander) ? or every switch have the log file separate from Active SW? 

2- if I use SNMP to Send Trap, how can identify every log for switches? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In stack Master have all the information, rest all members, so logs will be all in the Main switch only, the same case with SNMP you post MAster switch, you get all other information of the stack.

is this what you looking? or suggest if not?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In stack Master have all the information, rest all members, so logs will be all in the Main switch only, the same case with SNMP you post MAster switch, you get all other information of the stack.

is this what you looking? or suggest if not?

BB

thanks, balaji bandi for your answer is helpful for me, 

for point 2, in case I have failed in Standby switch or member switch, how can I identify the failure is coming from another switch ? is the event will come with Stack ID (only), or will come with (member MAC) or any identifier to Switch Has failure? 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
for point 2, in case I have failed in Standby switch or member switch, how can I identify the failure is coming from another switch ? is the event will come with Stack ID (only), or will come with (member MAC) or any identifier to Switch Has failure? 

Lets take example :

1. if the stack has 4 switches, based on the priority and switch number, Master switch will be elected, high priority become master and so on on slave election.

2, With the SNMP you can monitor stack information.

3. if the master switch fails ( next priority switch will be elected as master and all the information will be available on slave swiche)

you can also view in command level show switch ( you can see the switch elected as master)

is this make sense ?

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card