cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch

muntasirkhan022
Level 1
Level 1

I have two switches. Gi0/1 port of Sw1 is connected with Gi0/2 port of Sw2. Both the ports are access port. Sw1 port is configured with access VLAN 9 and SW2 port is configured access VLAN 10.

I have also configured interface vlan 9 in sw1 and configured IP address 192.168.100.1/30 and interface vlan 10 in Sw2 IP address 192.168.100.2/30.

Both the interface vlan are in same subnet.

My question is can I able to ping both the switches from each switch??

3 Replies 3

ahmedshoaib
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

You cannot ping in your scenario because by both are in different broadcast domain. Both IP address should be in same vlan either in vlan 9 or vlan 10.

The interconnecting port b/w switch-1 & switch-2 should be configured as trunk, so multiply vlan will be allowed between 2 switches.

Thanks & Best regards.

He has done a non-standard thing here, by cross-connecting vlan 9 on one switch with vlan 10 on another; and since both are simple access ports, then it would work.  Access ports would have no tagging, and no way to know (other than possibly CDP, if enabled) that there is a mismatch; and even if detected, it would still work (although there could be error messages in the switch logs).

David Nolasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, 

Having the scenario described above, you should be able to ping. Even when you have each port assigned to a different vlan (vlan 9 and vlan 10 respectively ) , the IP´s 192.168.100.1/30 and 192.168.100.2/30 belong to the same segment. In other words, since you have the ports on each switch configured as access ports, those vlans will be locally significant and no tagging is included on the packets exchanged so the pings/communication should work. 

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card