Views
Helpful
Replies

Switches pass no data to each other through VLAN trunk

joshua-rupley
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and trying to get to grips with VLANs!

In my building we have a network of six switches - one of which is a managed Cisco SG350X-24PD. We recently added a Cisco CBS250-16P-2G smart switch to the network. The rest are unmanaged switches. The normal building network works fine, with internet, NAS and NDI connectivity. Those are connected with VLAN 1 on the managed/smart switches. VLAN 1 is also connected to the router, which has a built-in DHCP server.

I added a VLAN 2 to the managed/smart switches also, which is only running our Dante audio network devices in the subnet 169.254.1.x / 255.255.0.0. VLAN 2 has no DHCP server and all the IP addresses are static. Three computers are connected to both VLAN 1 and VLAN 2 via separate NICs - DHCP addressing on VLAN 1, static on VLAN 2.

The two switches are connected by an ethernet cable. The port type is set to trunk and is allowed in both VLANs. The trunk port is untagged on VLAN 1 and tagged on VLAN 2. 

The switches are passing no data to each other via the trunk port. The smart switch can only ping devices that are plugged in locally. The managed switch can only ping devices which are plugged in locally or connected to unmanaged switches (VLAN 1) elsewhere in the network. The ports blink orange and green though, which tells me something is transmitting back and forth. I have tried swapping cables, setting the port type to access, tagging/untagging the ports, and using the trunk port only on VLAN 2. Nothing seems to be helping.

Any tips? Need more specs? Thank

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

first i would suggest to move out from this IP range 169.254.1.x / 255.255.0.0.

Seconds the VLAN 1 and VLAN2 should be aware of inter-vlan routing to work each other communication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1NMbrnJfvg

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

What range would you recommend? The 192.168.x.x is not compatible with the Dante network because VLAN 1 is using that range and three computers are connected to both VLANs. Dante gives me an error message and tells me that the non-Dante NIC is not allowed to have an IP address in the same range as the Dante NIC.

other suggestion i move out from VLAN 1 as default.

you can use any RFC 1918 address that should support by vendor (not sure what is the limitration using that private range ?)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

RAdamWilliams
Level 1
Level 1

I looked up some generic Dante documentation earlier and according to it the 169 addresses are fallback addresses (which is pretty normal for any DHCP enabled interface). Have you tried just running DHCP on that VLAN with a separate network?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card