Views
Helpful
Replies

Switching: Cisco 9200 switch stack

Rizwan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have stack of 7 Cisco 9200 switches and they are assigned priority 15-1 respectively.

The active switch with highest priority rebooted due to some error and become a member.

Now how I can assign back this switch active role without reloading the stack? 

Switch# Role  Priority Version State
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Member  15 V01 Ready
*2 Active  12 V01 Ready
3 Standby 10 V01 Ready
4 Member  8 V01 Ready
5 Member  7 V01 Ready
6 Member  6 V01 Ready
7 Member 2 V01 Ready

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is not an issue as long as it working, that is working behaviour of stacking. ( there is no mechanism to preempt when the master back to become master of stack).

if you want to master to be back as oprginal you need to reboot stack, (i would not suggest this approach) - when you do maintenance window, make sure you bring them accordingly

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9200/software/release/17-4/configuration_guide/ha/b_174_stck_mgr_ha_9200_cg/configuring_1_1_redundancy.html

"When an active switch reboots it becomes standby and the existing standby switch becomes the new active. The existing member switches remain in the same state."

So you would need to reload switch 2, this would make switch 3 Active and switch 1 Standby. Then finally reload switch 3 to make switch 1 Active. Obviously let the reloaded switch boot up and rejoin the stack before the next reload otherwsie you risk splitting the stack and causing yourself more problems!

cheers,

Seb.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is not an issue as long as it working, that is working behaviour of stacking. ( there is no mechanism to preempt when the master back to become master of stack).

if you want to master to be back as oprginal you need to reboot stack, (i would not suggest this approach) - when you do maintenance window, make sure you bring them accordingly

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card