Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switching inconsistency on WS-C2960S-48TD-L

Hello,

A really strange thing happened today on a WS-C2960S-48TD-L running c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE2.bin

We changed the uplink port from "GigabitEthernet1/0/49", DESCR: "1000BaseSX SFP" to "TenGigabitEthernet1/0/2", DESCR: "SFP-10GBase-

SR" (in 2 differents SFP+ slots).

The MAC address of one of our servers, accessible through the uplink, appeared on the new interface :

show mac address-table address 00:15:17:cc:2f:af

Mac Address Table

-------------------------------------------

Vlan    Mac Address       Type        Ports

----    -----------       --------    -----

315    0015.17cc.2faf    DYNAMIC     Te1/0/2

Total Mac Addresses for this criterion: 1

But outgoing packets are still forwarded incorrectly on GigabitEthernet1/0/49.

We have excluded this vlan number on the old uplink interface for some seconds and traffic is correctly forwarded now, but this behavior remains strange for me.

Any idea?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would say something was still being cached and had not updated itself.  The approach you took to resolve it was a good one.  I suspect it would also have updated itself within 10 minutes.

How do you know traffic was still going on the GigabitEthernet1/0/49? for the host concerned?

In fact, it had not updated for more than 4 hours.

And it was not really easy to detect the origin, because there was some correct traffic in this vlan for at least one entry on the new link: the gateway. So pings to the gateway or Internet were succesful.

I used an RSPAN monitor session that I first connected to the inbound  switch port. I got my test packets. After that, I attached the source of the monitor session to the uplink port and didn't see them anymore. And when I repeated the same thing on the old uplink port, I saw them again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco