cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switchover/failover command.

klambert1218
Level 1
Level 1

What is the switchover/failover command I would use if I need to switch/fail over to another chasis? And what are the requirements in order to do such?

Both switches are configured as L2 devices, if that helps. Is it possible in this scenario?

16 Replies 16

Reza is right, it comes down to testing.

All i would add is it depends on whether you can test before implementing and also how visible this change is to the business. At my last place of work getting an outage in our Data Centre took weeks of planning and we had to notify and get agreement from numerous depts. The last thing we could afford was to have to back out on the night because we had the wrong connectors. Never mind that we would have looked unprofessional we may not have kept our jobs for very long 

Jon

Follow-up to the new switch addition.

Overall, things went pretty well. The whole project took longer than we expected, but at least it is finished. The SFP GBIC connectors that I used would not work with the 6506-E, so I wasn't able to use those, so we had to settle with interconnecting the switches via copper GigabitEthernet ports. After transferring the IOS from the TFTP server to disk0, I copied disk0 to disk1 so that I could just insert the CF in disk1 into the primary switch's disk0, and change the boot command for the primary switch to boot from disk1. As good as that sounds, it didn't appear to have worked, because it kept indicating that disk1 had no files on it, even though during the copy, it never indicated any errors. At any rate, I had to settle for TFTPing the IOS to disk1 on the primary switch and proceed accordingly. One other thing that we encountered, and I hope that someone else has some input/insight into this, and that is after the IOS upgrade and subsequent reloading of the switch, whenever we would secure-shell to the switch, it would prompt us for a password three times and none of our passwords would work, and then it would finally give us the normal username@ip password prompt and we would be able to get in without issue. Anyone else ever had this happen, and if so, how did you fix it?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card