cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switchport Access Vlan on a ISR 4431

Mark H
Level 1
Level 1

So we're finally replacing an old Cisco 2801 router with a fancy new ISR 4431. However we've been caught out, the old 2801 had access vlans assigned to physical interfaces and it seems this is a no-no on a 4431.

Is our only solution to put in a switch module?

Below is what we used to have.

interface FastEthernet0/3/0
 description FW
 switchport access vlan 202
 duplex full
 speed 100
!
interface FastEthernet0/3/1
 description FW
 switchport access vlan 202
 duplex full
 speed 100
!
interface Vlan202
 ip address 192.168.0.5 255.255.255.0
!
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey

so you probably had a hwic switching module in the 2801 , these 4431 are pure layer 3 you would need to add a module if supported to get layer 2 port access like that

Looking at this comparison model it says no to switch module but there not always accurate I would check with the supplier you got it from ask them are there l2 modules available for this switch , other option push the vlans back onto a layer 3 switch and route between switch and router or use old method router and stick setup with l2 switch

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/models-comparison.html

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey

so you probably had a hwic switching module in the 2801 , these 4431 are pure layer 3 you would need to add a module if supported to get layer 2 port access like that

Looking at this comparison model it says no to switch module but there not always accurate I would check with the supplier you got it from ask them are there l2 modules available for this switch , other option push the vlans back onto a layer 3 switch and route between switch and router or use old method router and stick setup with l2 switch

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/models-comparison.html

Thanks Mark,

You're exactly right, we have overlooked that our old routers have a HWIC-4ESW switching module. We'll procure some NIM-ES2-4 modules for the new 4431 routers.

Did this work for you?   I'm in a similar situation.  

I see where the url referenced above shows N/A for switched Ethernet ports for the 4431. However, as you apparently noticed as well, other documentation shows the NIM-ES2-4 and NIM-ES2-8 supported in the ISR 4431.

Hi Mike,

Yes, using the NIM-ES2-4 module worked for us. We did need to upgrade the IOS-XE (I think) version, but afterwards we were able to apply a vlan to the interfaces without issue.

Hi Mark,

I have a similar situation. I need to create L3 vlans on cisco isr 4431. My uplink is a switch and my down link is also a switch so in this case the router on stick method is going to work? Or what other options i have. Also i have 2 ISR's in between on which i need to configure redundancy groups for HA.

Thank's

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card