Views
Helpful
Replies

Switchport or AP only up for a desired duration/time

Gurjinder Judge
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to configure a switchport on a 3560 or a 2125 WLC in anyway to allow for AP's to stay alive only for a configurable time period i.e 7am -10 pm.

Beyond this time the AP's or switchports are turned off.

Could anyone advise if this is possible, if so, how would this need to be configured?

Many thanks,

Guj

5 Replies 5

barweiss45
Level 1
Level 1

I am not an expert on EEM scripting but I think you could easily script an EEM script to have the switch admin up and down a port at a particular time. Below is a link on the support forums for EEM scripting.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-27996

On the 3560 I believe it supports EEM scripting, I am not sure if the WLC supports EEM scripting though.

ipcruiser81
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What is the purpose of this activity ..? Is it to save power (relevant only if you have a PoE switch), or to take the wireless network offline or something else..? If I know the problem you are trying to solve, it will be easier to give an answer ..

Rgds

This would be to have certain access points turned of during this partular time period. So that no wireless access is available.

Regards,

One way I could think of is to use the 'time-range' command on the 3560 to define a time interval of interest. Then you can associate the time range that you've created with an extended access list. The extended access list can block either AP tunnel traffic to the controller or client traffic. This will make sure wireless network remains unusable when you want it. It may not be a very clean solution since APs are still powered and SSIDs perhaps broadcast, however, the wireless network wont be accessible. 

If you know how to use EMM scripting, you could probably be creative (I havent tried). Also, to use EMM you may need an IP services image on your switch.

Hope that helps.

Rgds

You may be able to use time based acls

time-range WLAN
periodic daily 7:00 to 22:00

access-list 100 permit ip any any time-range WLAN

interface x x
ip access-group 100 in

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: