Views
Helpful
Replies

switchport port-security problem

Tiago Marques
Level 1
Level 1

hello everyone,

I wanted to test using the switchport port-security with mac-address fixed for voip and sticky for the access vlan .
for this I created the following config:

switchport port-security maximum 2
switchport port-security
switchport port-security aging time 5
switchport port-security mac-address sticky
switchport port-security mac-address e8ba.7006.59a4 vlan voice

the problem is , the mac-address that switch learns to vlan access, never disappears even though the device is no longer connected.

switchport port-security
switchport port-security mac-address sticky c434.6b24.5db9 vlan access

can you help me?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This should clear them without having to use the no statement when the switchport learns a new mac again though its manual ,you will need to bounce the port as well

clear port-security sticky interface

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

•Sticky secure MAC addresses—These can be dynamically learned or manually configured, stored in the address table, and added to the running configuration. If these addresses are saved in the configuration file, the interface does not need to dynamically relearn them when the switch restarts. Although sticky secure addresses can be manually configured, we do not recommend it.

I think from the above once you bind the address to the port its there until you remove it

ok, just a question:

The phone is always the same, but the device that connects to the access vlan can change, then how can I ensure security in this network point?

the "switchport port-security aging 5 time" should not delete the entry mac-address? ?

If the device is changing dont specify the mac add after the sticky for access vlan

switchport port-security mac-address sticky (c434.6b24.5db9)

The switchport ageing port-security statement is for dynamically learned secure macs not for stickys

This doc may explain it better for you

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/layer2.html

but i dont specify mac add  after the sticky for access vlan!
my initial config is:
switchport port-security

when i connect device (computer) the config automatic change for:

switchport port-security
switchport port-security mac-address sticky c434.6b24.5db9 vlan access

the problem is , the mac-address that switch learns to vlan access, never disappears even though the device is no longer connected.

You would have to use the no form and manually remove it as its sticky it does not remove itself  , if its only a couple of different devices that you are aware of connecting to the port just allow the macs and make sure your maximum is set with it like below ,l i dont think you can dynamically change sticky macs but you can have more than 1 per port if you have multiple devices

interface FastEthernet5/1
 switchport mode access
 switchport port-security
 switchport port-security maximum 5
 switchport port-security mac-address sticky 0000.0000.0001
 switchport port-security mac-address sticky 0000.0000.0002
 switchport port-security mac-address sticky 0000.0000.0003
 switchport port-security mac-address sticky 0000.0000.0004
 switchport port-security mac-address sticky 0000.0000.0005

humm ok.

thnks ;)

This should clear them without having to use the no statement when the switchport learns a new mac again though its manual ,you will need to bounce the port as well

clear port-security sticky interface

ok, just a question:

The phone is always the same, but the device that connects to the access vlan can change, then how can I ensure security in this network point?

the "switchport port-security aging 5 time" should not delete the entry mac-address? ?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card