cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switchport protected in Trunk port

tlxbx
Level 1
Level 1

What is the significance/impact of using switchport protected in Trunk ports that connect two switches? For eg.

SW1

int gi0/1-->Access VLAN 10-->switchport protected-->Host A

int gi0/24-->Switchport mode Trunk-->switchport protected (des link to SW2)

SW2

int gi0/1-->Access VLAN 10-->switchport protected-->Host B

int gi0/24-->Switchport mode Trunk-->switchport protected (des link to SW1)

Can hosts A & B ping each other if these are layer 2 switches? What about STP bpdu etc? My goal is to block layer 2 communication. Thinking alternative options to private vlans. 

3 Replies 3

can I know why ? instead block STP BPDU use filter BPDU and this make SW never send BPDU. 
BUT BUT this is so risky, it can cause loop. 

This has nothing to do with STP. Basically, the only goal is to block end-hosts L2 communication within VLAN. But my concern is what happens when the VLAN is spanned across multiple L2 switches, will it work since there will be a trunk port in between, and if there are any impact?

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

According to the description in this link, it appears that a protected port is similar to a private vlan where 2 hosts can not communicate with each other unless they use a layer-3 device.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3.2_0_se/multibook/configuration_guide/b_consolidated_config_guide_3850_chapter_011101.html

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card