cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

sys-log error

Hamza malik
Level 1
Level 1

hi there please guide about some of specific sys log errors.

%LINK-I-Up:  gi37   

%LINK-W-Down:  gi41  

%STP-W-PORTSTATUS: gi41: STP status Forwarding   

4 Replies 4

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @Hamza malik ,

the messages you specified are not really errors, they are informational messages that the network device is communicating through the logging system of the device.

The first two messages are informing that interface Gi37 changed state to UP and that interface Gi41 changed it's state to DOWN. These are somewhat normal messages depending on what device is connected to that port - if the port connects a user PC, the port goes UP when the user comes to work and powers up it's PC and goes down when the user goes home and powers down it's  PC. If the port connects a server which should be always running, then the fact that the port goes UP/DOWN might be an indication of a problem.

The third message is again an informational message saying that port Gi41 is operational form the Spanning Tree Protocol point of view.

Hope this helps.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have configured  the logging event link status -  you will see the output like the one generated.

If do not like to see end device connecting and disconnecting, remove the config of link status events config

%STP-W-PORTSTATUS: gi41: STP status Forwarding    - if the port is end device not trunk, then suggest to use port fast ( so that will skip this STP process) 

again all the messages are generated what config you put on the switch.,

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

actually I have cbs350-48p-4g switch. this switch having some ports poe issue. I don't understand how to resolve this issue. I default reset the switch , then some ports is not giving poe .

boot the switch and capture the console output, it does the post check so it will give indication if any of the hardwrae failure.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card