cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tagging a native vlan on a trunk

dbrowning
Level 1
Level 1

SInce the native (default) vlan is vlan 1 and it is untagged i have a question for you guys.  I have shutdown int vlan 1 on my switch so now it is not sending CDP across the trunk since it uses the the native vlan which i have shudown.  I want to set the native vlan to lets say vlan 1000 and i want to make it where it will send tagged vlan traffic in the native vlan but not untagged.  I know the command #switchport trunk native vlan 1000 would change the native vlan to vlan 1000, but it still send untagged packets.  I did however find a command #switchport trunk native vlan tag but i couldnt get that to work.  So i said all that to ask this... Can i set the native vlan to vlan 1000 and tell it to discard untagged packets and only send tagged packet so i can use CDP? Or does anyone know another way to get it working?

1 Reply 1

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"Vlan dot1q tag native" will do it globaly. You can verify by running: "sh vlan dot1q tag native" command.

Please rate helpful posts and mark thread as answered if you have no other queries.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card