cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Testing auto QoS on 2960X

cawst
Level 1
Level 1

We're trying to do some very basic QoS on our very basic network.  :-)  We have some stacked Catalyst 2960Xs, behind an ASA 5505.  We just want to prioritize (as much as possible, given the limited equipment) voice packets.  These would be from non-Cisco IP phones as well as from Skype on users' PCs.  I've tried enabling auto QoS on all of the relevant interfaces, and then for Skype, using group policy in Windows to tag the packets from skype.exe with a DSCP value of 46.

I can see that the packets are getting correctly marked via Wireshark.  However, I'm trying to figure out how to best determine whether the switch is actually treating them properly.  If I look at the qos statistics on my interface, for example, I can see the number of DSCP packets in the 45-49 range rising - but it's doing so slowly, and at a consistent pace that's unrelated to anything I do on the computer.  (i.e. they rise if I don't even have Skype open, and they rise at the same rate as when I'm actively on a call.)

How else can I get an idea as to whether this configuration is or isn't working, short of just saturating the network and trying a bunch of calls?

Also, is there anything I'd have to do on the ASA as well?

My apologies for the basicness of these questions - haven't touched QoS before, so this is all quite new.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you share a sample config you are using on a port?

Another way to test qos is ping the TOS values that maps to the DSCP values, so EF = 184 , that will fill the queue instead of making hundreds of calls

#ping
Protocol [ip]:
Target IP address: 10.1.1.1
Repeat count [5]: 100
Datagram size [100]:
Timeout in seconds [2]:
Extended commands [n]: y
Source address or interface: vlan 1222
Type of service [0]: 184
Set DF bit in IP header? [no]:
Validate reply data? [no]:
Data pattern [0xABCD]:
Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]:
Sweep range of sizes [n]:
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 100, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.1.1.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
Packet sent with a source address of xxxxx

My apologies; not sure I entirely follow how to use this to test.  I do that, and I get a success rate of 100%, and the min/avg/max speed - but how do I read this to ensure that my packets are being prioritized?  Sorry for the newb questions...:-(

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/14
description USER_CONNECTION
switchport access vlan 22
switchport mode access
srr-queue bandwidth share 1 30 35 5
priority-queue out
mls qos trust dscp
auto qos trust dscp
spanning-tree portfast

!

Most of that (anything QoS related) just comes from setting auto qos trust dscp.

cawst
Level 1
Level 1

As a follow-up, I had numerous reports that voice data was markedly worse after implementing this, so I disabled all of it.  Would definitely still be interested in ways to test, though, because I'd certainly like to try again at some point.  Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card