cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The further fate 3750-X?

aukhadiev
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco's new Catalyst 3850, offered for the same price as the 3750-X, adds wired and wireless management, a high-capacity stacking backplane, and OpenFlow 1.3 support at the access layer. What fate is now waiting for 3750-X considering the same price and the possible decline in sales 3750-X. Do not expect us mere consumers, will soon end-of-sales of 3750-X?

10 Replies 10

Gregory Snipes
Level 4
Level 4

It all depends on how the market responds to the 3850. If everyone says "well it the same price why not" then we are likely to see the some EOS notices for 3750X line in the relatively near future. If people decided they don't have a need for the enhanced capabilities and would rather stick with a proven technology, the 3750Xs are going to be around a lot longer.

Cisco has still not announced and EOS date the 3750v2 or the original 2960 and the 2960 is like seven years old. A fairly large number of people are still looking cheap 100Mb enterprise class switches, so Cisco keeps making them.

That said, the 3850 not only offers wired/wireless convergence. It has a super fast stacking and way beefier hardware spec. The only advantage the 3750X has over it is that it supports larger stacks (for now). I will be opting for 3850s if I have a need for one of the two and if most people feel the way I do we will probably see the 3750X go EOS in a year or so.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For new deployments, the new 3850 looks to be a better deal.  However, 3750-X might not go EOS as soon as might otherwise be expected because:

Q. Are StackWise-480 cables backward compatible?

A. No. The cable and connector type used in StackWise-480 are different  from the StackWise and StackWise Plus cables. Hence the newly redesigned  hardware architecture of the next-generation StackWise-480 is  incompatible with traditional StackWise Plus technology.

That is a very good point that I did not consider. The: 3750, 3750G, 3750v2, 3750e and 3750X all have the same stack cabling and are able to be stacked with each other, though the times I have done it I have found it to be a pain in the [neck]. The 3750X defiantly could have an extended life just for legacy expansion and maintenance.

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

The 3750X defiantly could have an extended life just for legacy expansion and maintenance.

Unless Cisco offers a very attractive trade-in allowance. 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In my opinion, the 3850 has all the features of the 3750X and more.

Yes, there's a wireless component on the 3850 and there's also a higher stacking bandwidth 480 Gbps on the 3850.  And don't forget that a single unit can also support four 10 Gbps.  The only downside is the amount of switches you can, CURRENTLY, stack is four.

Currently, some partners have been directed by Cisco to start "engaging" clients who are planning to upgrade to 3750X. 

So if you have fresh installs or massive 3750 upgrades, then talk to Cisco about Technology Migration Program.  Basically, Cisco will give you a one-for-one discount when you trade in your old network equipment (Cisco and non-Cisco) for ANY Cisco equipment of the same technology.   Please be aware that this program do exist and some AM/SE will feign ignorance or amnesia.

I don't have any "inside" knowledge but, in my humble opinion, the 3750X will probably have 3-4 years left.  I don't believe there will be any re-incarnation or any hardware version updates for the 3750X.

If you have also find the need to upgrade your 4500R+E, then the newer Sup8E will also be slated for release this year.  The Sup8E is the equivalent of the 3850.  Again, the line card will have the same wireless chipset built-in.

Thanks for the opinions expressed ... Two thing to bother me... the transition from the classical IOS to the IOS XE (when you choose 3850) and how long will sell now network modules for 3750-X (when you choose 3750-Х)...

BTW, are the 3850 full TrustSec capable?

If I remembered correctly, all 10 Gpbs uplink will both support north- and south bound TrustSec.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Regarding IOS-XE, for better or worse, it's the choice of newer platforms, e.g. ASR1000 series, 4500 sup7e and now the 3850.

Regarding TrustSec, not much mention on the 3850 sheets.  Found:

Distributed intelligent services with Flexible  NetFlow on all ports, hardware capability for TrustSec and MediaNet, and  ease of operations using Cisco® Catalyst® Smart Operations.

Security

Enterprise access security

DHCP Snooping, IPSG, DAI, PACLs, Cisco Identity 4.0, NAC and 802.1x features

Complete access security

Router and VLAN ACLs, private VLANs, complete identity and security; TrustSec SXP and IEEE 802.1AE capable in hardware

Whether 3850 supports SGT and SGACL? Or just SXP?

3850 has not appeared owing to the novelty in TrustSec 3.0 Matrix:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/ns170/ns896/ns1051/trustsec_matrix.html

One thing Cisco really hasn't addressed on the 3850s is the missing option for a 10GB-T network module. the 3750X has the C3KX-NM-10GT which is a perfect solution for a very small 10G-T install. Does anyone know if there is a roadmap for a replacement to this card for the 3850? 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card