cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The HWIC-4ESM like the 3rd ethernet port of cisco 2821

aamaral
Level 1
Level 1

Can I use the HWIC-4ESM module likes the 3rd ethernet port of the cisco 2821 ?

3 Replies 3

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

More or less.

You cannot directly configure a ip address on ports on the 4esm this is configure like a switch.

You need to assign the ports to a vlan and then put in vlan interfaces and assign ips to those. You can actually use all 4 ports as different interfaces if you assign them all to different vlans and define corresponding vlan interfaces.

Hallo tdrais,

i?m just confronted with the same issue, expanding ports on a 2821. the doc?s seem to imply that i have to stack the HWIC-4esw modules for them to work, but i want to associate 1HWIC to 1 GE0/x port via a Vlan. will that work ( reason: 1Firewall to each GE0/x-port and up to 4 FE-100mbit appliances to the HWIC?s).?.

gratefull for anny suggestions

carsten

Don't believe there is any way to associate the hwics to a particular port , think of the modules as independant switch modules with layer 3 capability .You configure the hwics like any other other l2/3 switch , create the layer 2 vlan in the database and then create the layer 3 SVI and apply the vlan to the switchport. If 4 ports isn't enough you would need to buy another hwic and tie the hwics together with a cable.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card