cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Third Ethernet Connection on 2621 Router

beekerc69
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a 1720 with dual WIC-1ENET cards. One WIC goes to a Cisco 678 for DSL service, the other WIC goes to a DMZ network and the FastEthernet port goes to the protected network.

What I need to do is have FastEthernet connectivity to both the protected network and the DMZ.

I am currently shopping for a 2621, with the intent of using both built in FastEthernet ports for the DMZ and protected network, then pulling one of the WIC-1ENET's from the 1720 and putting it in the 2621 for connection to the 678 and DSL line. Only problem is that I have not found anything that says the 2621 will support the WIC-1ENET. So unless I can get a third routable Ethernet port into the 2621, I'm pretty much back to square one.

One other option, but I don't know if it will work, is to use the WIC-1ADSL card in place of the WIC-1ENET/678 combination. But I can't find anything out there on how to configure the WIC-1ADSL to make it look like a 678 to my DSL provider and their tech support center can't/won't help me.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Brian

4 Replies 4

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

WIC-1ENET is not supported on 2600-series.

There are no NM options either. You can however create sub-interfaces and use a switch to create multiple segments.

HTH

--Leon

* Please rate ALL posts.

Hi friend,

check this link out for different ethernet modules available for a 2600 series

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_data_sheet09186a0080091b89.html

HTH

Narayan

I also see the WIC-1ADSL will not work on the 26xx either. so i'm stuck with the DSL modem. However, it looks like the NM-1E and/or NM-4E modules will work. however those with the -1W and -2W suffixes are only supported by the 36xx. So i'll look into those as an option. however if you might know something about them, here's some additional questions.

1) is the Ethernet port on the 1E able to have its own IP address, handle routable/routed traffic and have ACL's applied to it?

2) in the 4E, can each port be assigned its own IP and have traffic routed between them, or is it basically like a 4 port switch?

3) when you say "create sub-interfaces and use a sitch to create multiple sgments", what do you mean?

Thanks

Brian

hi brian,

i think wic 1ADSL is supported on cisco 2600... but you need proper ios which provide the support for the ADSL... here i am attaching one PDF for the modules detail so you can take a look...

I am also stuck with the ethernet interface issue so i am also planing to order one ADSL module so i can get one ethernet port free...

regards

Devang

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card