Views
Helpful
Replies

Throughput Calculation .. :( ?

anishks07
Level 1
Level 1

Hai dear all,

Please anybody help me to calculate the throughput for typical network users traffic.How  we can calculate the throughput? Is it any diffrence in the LAN throughput and in the VPN throughput.

many thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I'm unsure you can accurately calculate throughput for a "typical" user LAN vs. a real user LAN as they often differ so much.  You need to account for the role of each person on the network, i.e. what's their expected data usage.  Additionally, you also often need to account for how hosts are configured to utilize the network.

For example, how much data a user will push or pull generally differs much by job role.  A manager, programmer, admin, data entry, CADD job role all manipulate different "volumes" of data during the same timeframe.  How much of this data volume crosses the network depends on whether, on one extreme, most of the data resides on the local host or, on the other extreme, whether most data resides on a different host.

Although you've asked about throughput, modern LANs often vary in their needs regarding latency.  For example, the network requirements to support host to host bulk data transfers vs. host to host real time data transfers impact "throughput" requirements.

Regarding LAN vs. VPN, the latter tends to add overhead which reduces available throughput.  Often, but not always, the loss throughput capacity, for overhead, isn't an issue on a LAN.  However, VPNs also often introduce additional processing requirements, and throughput might be significantly reduced because of this.  VPN throughput reductions very much depend on the kind of VPN and the supporting equipment.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I'm unsure you can accurately calculate throughput for a "typical" user LAN vs. a real user LAN as they often differ so much.  You need to account for the role of each person on the network, i.e. what's their expected data usage.  Additionally, you also often need to account for how hosts are configured to utilize the network.

For example, how much data a user will push or pull generally differs much by job role.  A manager, programmer, admin, data entry, CADD job role all manipulate different "volumes" of data during the same timeframe.  How much of this data volume crosses the network depends on whether, on one extreme, most of the data resides on the local host or, on the other extreme, whether most data resides on a different host.

Although you've asked about throughput, modern LANs often vary in their needs regarding latency.  For example, the network requirements to support host to host bulk data transfers vs. host to host real time data transfers impact "throughput" requirements.

Regarding LAN vs. VPN, the latter tends to add overhead which reduces available throughput.  Often, but not always, the loss throughput capacity, for overhead, isn't an issue on a LAN.  However, VPNs also often introduce additional processing requirements, and throughput might be significantly reduced because of this.  VPN throughput reductions very much depend on the kind of VPN and the supporting equipment.

Hai,

Thanks for your valuble suggestions (Y). I want purchase a distribution layer switch for around 300 users... They all are using some web based applications. Before purchasing any switch i want to know how we can purchase a switch based on throughput.. at this point actually i am struck.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You can host 300 users on a single chassis or switch stack.

What do you have in mind for what the topology is going to be?

You mention this device as a distribution layer.  You're going to have core/distribution/access?

Will there be routing or just L2 on this distribution switch?

Will the web based applications be accessing local web servers or remote?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card