Views
Helpful
Replies

Traceroute MAC not working consistently

robschn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Is there a reason that a traceroute mac would work from some MACs and not others? It seems VERY inconsistent for me. Sometimes the same MAC will work then randomly not work.

Here's what I get:

CiscoL3Device#traceroute  mac 309c.0000.b1b0 309c.0000.b1b0
Unable to send a l2trace request to 172.16.0.1. Timed out
Layer2 trace aborted.

CDP is enabled on every switch and I can perform a traceroute mac on other MACs from the same switch.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

robschn
Level 1
Level 1

I figured it out!

L2 traceroutes can only work if all the switches are in the same network. If you have a VoIP phone or another switch-like thing in between the device and access switch, it will fail.

The clue for me was the "Unable to send a l2trace request to 172.16.0.1." 172.16.0.0 is my voice VLAN, so it's a different network from the management VLAN that my switches use.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @robschn ,

Check this link, maybe can give some help:

https://www.ciscozine.com/how-to-trace-mac-address/

Regards

Thanks for the article, lots of good information. I'll do some digging and see if I'm missing anything

robschn
Level 1
Level 1

I figured it out!

L2 traceroutes can only work if all the switches are in the same network. If you have a VoIP phone or another switch-like thing in between the device and access switch, it will fail.

The clue for me was the "Unable to send a l2trace request to 172.16.0.1." 172.16.0.0 is my voice VLAN, so it's a different network from the management VLAN that my switches use.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card