cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk access switch to distribution

froggerdata7
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to lab a Core, Distribution, Access lab design.  In short, the core is a 2811 router and my distribution is a 3560 as is my access switch.

I setup BGP between the core switch and distribution, and when I connect a host to the distribution switch I can ping the core.  But when I connect it to the access switch, I can't ping anything.  So I configured a trunk interface between the distribution switch and access switch.  I think I still need to tell the traffic how to get there, with maybe a ip gateway? or default ip gateway which I think is only for L2 switches.  Am I on the right track?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You don't necessarily need a trunk unless you have multiple vlans going from the access to the distribution switches.

Either way the host will be in a vlan and that vlan needs to be allowed on the link between the access ahd distribution switch, either an access port in that vlan or a trunk allowing that vlan.

The vlan needs to be in the vlan database on both switches ie. "sh vlan brief".

Then on the distribution switch you need a L3 vlan interface (SVI) for that vlan and you give it an IP address and the host will have an IP from the same subnet and the default gateway will be the SVI IP address on the distribution switch.

As long as the 2811 has a route to the IP subnet pointing to the distribution switch  which it should get via BGP it should work.

Jon

View solution in original post

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To add to Jon's Comment..

Yes you need to send VLAN's till distribution switch, hopefully where you have gateway for all VLANS are configured with SVI setup.

and your host shoudl be part of one of those VLANs in which SVI is configured on distribution switch.

Those SVI can be small subnet which would advertise in BGP from Distribution to Router.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helps..

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You don't necessarily need a trunk unless you have multiple vlans going from the access to the distribution switches.

Either way the host will be in a vlan and that vlan needs to be allowed on the link between the access ahd distribution switch, either an access port in that vlan or a trunk allowing that vlan.

The vlan needs to be in the vlan database on both switches ie. "sh vlan brief".

Then on the distribution switch you need a L3 vlan interface (SVI) for that vlan and you give it an IP address and the host will have an IP from the same subnet and the default gateway will be the SVI IP address on the distribution switch.

As long as the 2811 has a route to the IP subnet pointing to the distribution switch  which it should get via BGP it should work.

Jon

Thank you guys!!  Seriously thank you very much!  That's what I needed and I got it working.  I understand the process and what is needed.  I appreciate it!  Now on to do the other side and get high availability running.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To add to Jon's Comment..

Yes you need to send VLAN's till distribution switch, hopefully where you have gateway for all VLANS are configured with SVI setup.

and your host shoudl be part of one of those VLANs in which SVI is configured on distribution switch.

Those SVI can be small subnet which would advertise in BGP from Distribution to Router.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helps..

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card