cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk port not connecting other than default vlan

erdene
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router on a stick set-up. Router is connected to the main switch (cisco 2960x series) via trunk port. Which accepts default vlan1 and vlan30,40 etc. I want to connect multiple vlans on one switchport and still connect to the network.

Router configuration below.

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1.30

description vlan 30

encapsulation dot1Q 30

ip address 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1.40

encapsulation dot1Q 40

ip address 192.168.4.1 255.255.255.0

Switch configuration below

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,30,40

switchport mode trunk

Access ports which allowed vlan 30 or 40 (access ports accept one vlan only) connect vlan 30 or 40 devices just fine.

As soon as I configure one of the switchports to trunk and allow vlan 1,30,40 only devices from vlan1 connects to the network but not from vlan 30 or 40 devices.
Port configuration below

interface FastEthernet0/4

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-2,30,40

switchport mode trunk

Essentially, I want to connect any vlan device to any switch port and still connect to my network.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

If I understand you correctly you want to plug in a PC on interface FastEthernet0/4 (while its configured as a trunk) and allow it to access the VLANs you mention (vlan 1-2,30,40), essentially making the PC a part of all the VLANS on the trunk and be able to communicate on all VLANs? If that's the case that is not doable and would undermine the reason VLANs exist. That along with the PC wouldn't be able to understand. here's why:

The PC connects on VLAN 1 because by default VLAN 1 is not tagged and is the native VLAN on a switchport. Since its untagged the PC can comprehend frames on that VLAN because its not being sent with a tag. Traffic form VLAN 30 and 40 are sent with tags on the trunk port towards the PC which does not understand tags.

The only instance you would use this setup is that port connects to a servers post that acts like a switch and CAN understand VLAN tags from a trunk port.

Hope that helps

-David

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1

No ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1.1

description vlan 1

encapsulation dot1Q 1 native 

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

Try this way' use subinterface for vlan1 and make it native if vlan1 is native vlan of SW.

Yes vlan1 is native for SW. But solution did not work. Same result as before. Thank you.

Add 

Switchport trunk encapsulate dot1x 

Switchport mode trunk 

To trunk config of SW and check again.

MainSwitch(config-if)#switchport trunk encapsulate dot1x

% Invalid input detected at 'e' marker.

Thank you. Command seems to be specific for other SW

Can you share topolgy here 

Show interface x/x switchport 

For port connect to router and other unmgmt sw

Hello,

If I understand you correctly you want to plug in a PC on interface FastEthernet0/4 (while its configured as a trunk) and allow it to access the VLANs you mention (vlan 1-2,30,40), essentially making the PC a part of all the VLANS on the trunk and be able to communicate on all VLANs? If that's the case that is not doable and would undermine the reason VLANs exist. That along with the PC wouldn't be able to understand. here's why:

The PC connects on VLAN 1 because by default VLAN 1 is not tagged and is the native VLAN on a switchport. Since its untagged the PC can comprehend frames on that VLAN because its not being sent with a tag. Traffic form VLAN 30 and 40 are sent with tags on the trunk port towards the PC which does not understand tags.

The only instance you would use this setup is that port connects to a servers post that acts like a switch and CAN understand VLAN tags from a trunk port.

Hope that helps

-David

Sorry if my description was not clear, what I want to achieve is that fa0/4 port is connected to unmanaged switch, which is connected to multiple vlan devices. Both vlan1 and vlan30 computer are connected to the unmanaged switch and still connect to the network.

one more thing; if u cannot add vlans to unmanaged switch, those ports should be in vlan 1 by default; All PCs connected to unmanaged switch should be able to communicate.  All traffic in vlan 1 should reach other switch and router in vlan1 but not in other vlans.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Then the devices need to tag the packets with the VLAN they want to communicate with. When a PC sends a frame and the switch on the trunkport receives it untagged it will assume it belongs to the default native VLAN of a trunk which is 1. You can test this by changing the native VLAN to 30 and then all devices will communicate on VLAN 30.

-David

Yes, that is my understanding. But there is multiple devices without VLAN tagging capabilities in my network. As I mentioned if RV082 can do this, ISR4331 combined with catalyst2960 should do the same.

Keep in mind this is Packet Tracer and more advanced functionality like that may not be supported. I use the term advanced as I advanced for PT.

erdene
Level 1
Level 1

@Martin L Thank you. Here is the simplified PT version of my network.

Vlans are missing on un-managed switch; PCs connected to 2nd switch will need to be in correct access ports; and in correct vlan  x in order to communicate to PC on vlan x in other switches. 

all links between switches must be trunk mode and of course switch to router must be trunking.

also vlans must be present in all switches; i.e. Sw1 == SW2 == Sw3, if vlan x is present on sw1 and sw 3, vlan x must be present on Sw2 in order to allow traffic

Cross-over cable between switches!

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Thank you, but unmanaged switch is plug and play device, no available configuration methods.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card